Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Lead the delivery of products that empower Canvanauts' effectivity, from ideation to completion within start-up timeframes
- Drive technical strategy and provide leadership to your team in an evolving user-focused environment
- Create and be responsible for the roadmap for your team through engagement with collaborators from around the business
- Be effective at setting and handling expectations with internal collaborators to ensure we’re working on the most impactful things
- Develop and grow a team of software engineers through effective coaching, engagement and retention strategies, and strategic hiring
- Provide technical guidance through review of technical designs and code reviews
- Promote a safe and balanced culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication.
You're probably a match if:
- Experience with technical and people leadership - having previously led impactful teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Commercial experience working with developing user facing web applications
- Proven knowledge of web app architecture and languages including Python, Typescript, HTML, CSS and SQL on AWS infrastructure
- Disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests, and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach
- An understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Exceptional communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal, as you will need to share knowledge, communicate and coordinate changes with collaborators that may be non-technical
- Lead by example - promote Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
About the team
Canva's Internal Applications team builds tailored internal products such as a people directory, translation bot and URL shortener to help us operate efficiently as we rapidly scale our headcount.
These products are tailored to Canva’s needs and help us maintain our culture. We are looking for a Team Engineering Lead to coach an outstanding team of engineers to ensure the continued success of our internal apps.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical direction and full stack software development and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to roll up your sleeves.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.