Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Apply software engineering practices to provide clean data sets from the data warehouse to end users.
- Work primarily with SQL and Python to automate and optimize data loading and transformation systems.
- Maintain, operate, and tune data infrastructure (Fivetran, Snowflake, Redshift, dbt, Looker, Mode Analytics, Census) at scale.
- Develop infrastructure, tools and scalable data ingestion, access and modeling frameworks to support Canva's use of the data warehouse.
- Design and build out analytic data models that support answering questions from our product team and company leaders.
- Ensure that our users’ data is protected throughout the data lifecycle and that it’s used with their consent to provide them with an amazing product experience.
You're probably a match if
- You have at least 2 years of recent experience building and managing large data platform environments in the cloud, AWS preferred.
- You have exposure to modern MPP cloud-based data warehouses solutions such as Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery.
- You have advanced SQL, Python coding, and data modelling skills.
- You have worked with event-oriented data sets of large size and diverse schemas.
- You have experience in developing dashboards and reporting systems.
- You are familiar with a wide set of data warehousing principles, including architecture, methodologies, schemas, performance/optimization principles, and best practices.
- You have strong competency following the ELT approach to the data integration process.
- You are curious and self-driven to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data.
- You are comfortable owning, tracking, and delivering goals, working both independently and in teams.
About the team
The Analytics Engineering team empowers Canvanauts to discover insights from our data. They are a steward of organizational knowledge, not a researcher answering a specific question. Like a librarian, the analytics engineer curates the catalogue so that the researchers can do their work more effectively.
They apply software engineering best practices on a daily basis. Their purpose is to maintain and operate the data platform to deliver well-defined, transformed, tested, documented, and code-reviewed data sets.
They handle billions of rows and petabytes of data from hundreds of different sources - including events, databases, and third-party systems. We work in collaboration with multiple teams and stakeholders to support their decision-making process. We work every day to make Canva one of the world’s most valuable companies and do the most good along the way. We are looking to grow our team and multiply our impact.
Don't just take our word for it, check out what Software Engineer - Abbie Wade has to say about working in Engineering at Canva:
" The challenges that I am solving do not have a known solution, which means I get to create and innovate each day."
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.