Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Group
The Developer Platform Group owns the coding life cycle at Canva – from ideas through to production. Our mission is “To forge a delightful ecosystem for engineers at Canva, amplifying their craft and enabling them to ship fast and correctly, at scale”. We create an environment in which developers can do their best work.
We work closely with product engineering teams to understand their needs and build solutions to best meet them. Our ecosystem spans platforms such as Git, build systems, CI systems, and knowledge management systems.
Riding the wave of technical development at a hyper-growth company offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do some of the best engineering of your life. Tackle complex problems with innovative solutions and enjoy the exhilaration of seeing your contributions amplify developer velocity and workflow at scale. If you crave challenge, love growth and yearn for the satisfaction of seeing real results uplift the developer experience, come and join us in the Developer Platform group.
About the Team
You'll be joining the Language Ecosystem team, whose mission is to uplift language and ecosystem support across Developer Platform products: working directly with teams across the group to improve support for speciality specific workflows and deliver solutions that eliminate capability gaps.
As a Frontend Infrastructure specialist on the Language Ecosystem team, you'll:
- Work closely with Frontend engineers across the business to understand their requirements and collaborate on platform infrastructure solution designs.
- Work closely with Developer Platform product managers and leadership to define your specialty priorities and roadmap.
- Work closely with Engineers across Developer Platform by seconding into teams to collaborate on specific projects and uplift specialty knowledge: empowering teams to own and operate platform products that support your specialty by providing hands on guidance and servant leadership.
We are after passionate people who have a strong focus on engineering excellence, and who would like to lead and improve Canvas Engineers' quality of life.
What you’ll do (responsibilities)
- Apply your product/platform mindset to define the frontend specialty roadmap for the group.
- Mentor and guide other engineers on the journey.
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews.
- Improve and update documentation, define best practices and guidelines.
- Build and deliver solutions to improve the frontend engineering experience at Canva.
- Construct better tooling and metrics so that we, and our users, understand and can respond to the health of our systems.
What we're looking for
- Solid experience with Frontend development and infrastructure technologies, for example TypeScript, React, WebPack, Yarn, PNPM.
- Be self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership over complex problems and their related solutions.
- Be passionate about engineering excellence, systems architecture and non-functional requirements.
- Be focused on team collaboration and delivering as a group - challenges and successes are shared.
- Solid experience with Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration and Infrastructure as Code.
- Any prior experience working with monorepos at scale is highly regarded, especially familiarity with Bazel and Nix
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.