Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
The ML Platform team are responsible for the scalable, safe, and efficient delivery of ML in our products and internal applications. We empower thousands of engineers and PMs to deliver amazing product experiences harnessing the power of industry-leading ML algorithms.
2023 is an incredible time to join the team. We are small but growing rapidly. We serve models that power every user's experience in Canva. The problem space and industry is advancing quickly. You will have direct influence on our ambitious plans to scale AI / ML experiences for over 100 million Canva customers. From simplifying development to building infra supporting the training and deployment of larger and more powerful models, you'll find no shortage of energy and opportunities for impact on the ML Platform team.
We are looking for engineers with a strong background in data-intensive distributed systems, and who thrive in fast-paced high-energy environments, to help us build the future of ML at Canva.
- Automating and standardizing key components of ML workflows (such as infrastructure provisioning, data loading, checkpointing, deployments) and the full ML life cycle, to accelerate the work of other ML engineers.
- Building new platform layers to support data labeling, training and serving at scale.
- Building systems to support training and deploying large models like Reinforcement Learning and Foundational design models.
- Working alongside embedded ML and software engineers, incorporating feedback to improve the platform user experience.
- More than 5 years of Industry experience building and deploying distributed, data intensive systems with a Product/SaaS company, preferably using Kubernetes, preferably on AWS.
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python, Java (or any Object-Oriented language).
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Familiarity with ML fundamentals.
- ML ecosystem: numpy, pytorch, huggingface, CUDA, Ray.
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem: ECS, EKS, ECR, Kinesis.
- Experience orchestrating multi-node, multi-GPU training of pytorch models on a Kubernetes cluster.
- Experience in designing, deploying, optimizing and monitoring systems for ML inference.
Nice to have:
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.