Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
We’re looking for the next generation of Canvanauts!
Our Canva internship is a 12-week remote friendly program that runs from the last week of November to the last week of February. There will also be an opportunity to meet your team in person at our flagship campus in Sydney to experience all the magic of Canva in real life. So your summer time is sorted.
As an Intern, you'll have the opportunity to work on real-life projects from start to finish. Along with this, we'll pair you with a Host and assign you a Buddy who will ensure your success every step of the intern journey. Think of them as your own personal intern tour guides.
You’ll be part of a welcoming and inclusive Early Talent community of peers that take pride in Canva’s culture of being good humans and empowering each other to achieve our big goals.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. If you call New Zealand home, we have our Auckland co-working space too.
But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on
• Collaborate with your assigned team to design, develop, test and maintain your intern project
• Develop and maintain documentation for software development processes, procedures, and guidelines
• You will develop your craft with some of the most talented engineers
• You will interact with a wide variety of stakeholders from both inside and outside your team to deliver high-quality work in a fast-paced environment.
You're probably a match if
• You are currently enrolled and completing your studies between 2024 and mid-2025.
• You are currently based in Australia (citizen, PR, international student), or New Zealand (citizen).
• You are comfortable coding in Python, Go or Java
• You have knowledge of cloud architecture concepts and/or Infrastructure-as-Code
• You are familiar with version control concepts (we're using Git!)
• You are familiar with different testing principles
• You have excellent Computer Science and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) Fundamentals
• You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
• You have the desire to learn and grow as a technologist in the infrastructure space
• You are able to commit to the 12-week, full-time summer program from the last week of November to the last week of February. (We can provide some flexibility for dates that might overlap with university timelines).
About the team
The Infrastructure Supergroup’s mission is to make complex technology simple for Canvanauts by building foundational products that will seamlessly propel Canva to the next level of growth. We are taking our services into the next generation with groundbreaking tech to be reliable, secure and scalable with the goal to make it simple for engineers to create, innovate without having to worry about the extras. As Infrastructure has the most diverse engineering skillset, you will get the chance to peer into different disciplines and figure out where you may want to steer your career!
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Intern - Yolanda Li has to say about Interning at Canva -
"Put your hand up to every opportunity that comes your way. Even if you feel like you’re not ready for them at all."
Our recruitment timeline
We are welcoming applications for Infrastructure Engineering Internship till 5 June 2023 , only. Following this advertisement closure date, successful applicants will be reached out to directly to proceed to the next step of our Canva Early Talent hiring process.
Here at Canva, we endeavour to respond to every applicant regardless of the outcome, should you not be successful, we will respond to your application within 5 working days of applying.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• The opportunity to work on a real-life and impactful project from start to finish
• Mentorship from experienced Canvanauts
• Budget for Intern run social events throughout the program
• Flexible working schedule with access to office a campus or co-working hub if you live nearby
• A campus week in Sydney where you'll get to meet your team in person and experience the Canva magic
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.