Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Team - People Relations, Policy and Compliance:
At the heart of what makes our people experience world-class and seamless are the strong executors that take pride in their craft and in delivering friction-free employee experiences. This team champions Canva’s culture and values by providing subject matter expertise in navigating the complex challenges that may arise in the workplace, and support the overall employee experience at Canva by promoting a respectful and ethical environment.
About the role
This team provides support and guidance to coaches, leaders and Canvanauts to resolve challenges and conflicts, overcome obstacles, and provide solutions to sensitive employee matters in a respectful, compliant and collaborative manner. This team also owns all things related to People policy and compliance, including policy development, management and governance. As the policies and compliance SME, you’ll advise and guide teams on how to develop policies in a human-first way, using clear, concise and empowering language to make our policies as easy to understand as possible.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Leader Enablement: Provide guidance, support, and training to leaders that empowers them to manage and appropriately address complex employee challenges within their teams.
- Investigations: Lead and/or support Employment Legal in investigating claims of workplace misconduct and/or employee grievances.
- Performance Management: Manage complex or high-risk employee performance cases, ensuring that matters are handled with care and empathy.
- Policy Expertise: Serve as subject matter specialists in people compliance, as well as Canva policies, procedures, and practices. Lead and/or contribute towards policy and compliance projects.
- Proactive Trend Analysis: Leverage data to identify employee relations trends, and take proactive steps to resolve potential challenge areas through resources, coaching, and trainings.
- Policy development and governance: This includes establishing best practices for establishing new policies and annual policy reviews.
- People Compliance: Manage all audits (internal and external), mandatory compliance reporting (such as WGEA), and all other compliance requirements.
- Training and Resources: Provide related training and resources, including best practice guides for coaches on effective performance management, navigating difficult situations/conversations, conflict resolution, policy development, and general compliance guidance.
- Leading and Coaching a team: Foster a high-performance, people-first team culture and a safe and supportive work environment that enables each person to grow and thrive.
You're probably be a match if you have;
- Experience in leading a team that manages complex employee relations matters.
- Experience in Australia is a must, experience working across regions in a global company is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of policies and employment issues, with an understanding of compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Experience in conducting/advising on investigations of highly sensitive and nuanced workplace matters.
- Ability to exhibit the highest level of discretion, integrity, professionalism, and empathy.
- You’ve got great attention to detail, you’re highly organised and are comfortable building out all sorts of communications - from verbal and written communications to Canva presentations.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to balance needs of the business and the employees while maintaining confidentiality and compliance.
- Comfortable working in high-ambiguity situations, and coming up with solutions for time-sensitive matters.
- Experience in geographically dispersed, international HR teams.
About the Group
Canva People Group is a group of passionate and talented team members who are on a mission to "Empower our teams to do the best work of their lives". We do this through focussing on five key strategies; Empower every person and every team; continuously up-skill; achieve impactful goals and ensure we all feel we truly belong and thrive every day.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.