Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
The role sits within the content and discovery supergroup, and looks after 2 main engineering areas: traffic growth optimization and supporting the growth of content across many markets. This includes building data systems for monitoring all our 60M+ logged out pages, running optimisation experiments, building state of the art server side rendering to make our pages much faster and also building machine learning and data system platforms for understanding trends on the internet.
The role and the team
- Running experiments and optimizing Canva's 60M+ logged out pages, across the company.
- Exposure to lots of different teams and product surfaces. Interesting product work. Metrics based and trackable, with visible success.
- Work with product teams across the company to optimize their logged-out pages.
- Global Navigation ownership.
- Working to launch Canva in more international markets, bringing our content to even more countries and languages.
- Also launch new pages such as:
- New product pages, e.g.www.canva.com/business-cards/
- New category pages e.g. www.canva.com/business-cards/templates/
- Building tools and frameworks that help us rapidly and reliably conduct experiments across different parts of the Canva app
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Work collaboratively and consult with leads, product managers, and engineers across teams at Canva to unblock back-end work that helps your group deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Communicate effectively with Product Managers and Engineers across Canva when developing a solution; seek and incorporate diverse perspectives to address complex issues
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and effectively advocate for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
- Model initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improve processes and solutions
- Identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration to work on new ideas and improvements that help achieve our goals
Required skills and experience
- Commercial experience developing complex web applications
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Experience building UX for specialists and an eye for design.
- Working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively
- Good writing and verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience with TypeScript, React and MobX.
- This role has the ability to be Full Stack, moving between frontend and backend requirements whilst leading our frontend technology stack and approach.
- Experience with growth engineering in the past.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.