Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hiya, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but we have a swanky new office in London that has all the bells and whistles. Even though you'll find us in Shoreditch, you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
When you join our team in the UK, you'll also be joining forces with Flourish, who were acquired by us in 2022. Flourish enables everyone to change the way they tell stories with data by creating rich, animated data visualizations and other interactive content that can be embedded anywhere - including in Canva!
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
We are searching for an experienced, Ruby engineer to immediately join the Pexels Backend Engineering team. The Pexels Backend team is a small, close-knit team with only three engineers currently. We are responsible for the API that powers our React and mobile applications; the public API we offer to our users to integrate Pexels into their own applications; the Admin tool that our Pexels colleagues use to curate, manage our community, and more; and keeping the infrastructure running smoothly.
What you'll do
- Work on a product that is used by millions of people and that is well known in the industry.
- Complete intermediate-level projects with autonomy and more complicated projects working with other members of the team.
- Implement the backend for new features for Pexels, from planning through to release. This generally involves designing data operations, wiring them up in our API, and writing automated tests in RSpec, as well as integrating with other engineering teams.
- Identify bugs and performance issues, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Take an active role in driving the architecture and technology used by Backend.
- Participate in the code review process, both as a code author and as a reviewer.
What we are looking for
- You have 3+ years of Ruby development experience; prior experience with API development is a plus.
- You are pragmatic in your approach to development, with a passion for clean, well-architected, well-tested, and performant code. You have the ability to make decisions on your own, as well as collaborate with other developers across teams.
- You pride yourself on your ability to diagnose, debug and solve problems.
- You have a strong understanding of MySQL, specifically with writing efficient and performant queries and identifying bottlenecks. Additional experience with ElasticSearch or Redis is a plus.
- You are very familiar with working in Git, including rebase workflows.
- You might have experience doing devops work, including responding to outages.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.