Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Canva is always looking for ways to ensure the product experience for our users is delightful. Product Analytics are used to capture how users interact with all of products and build data insights to guide future product improvements among many other use cases.
In this role, you will be leading a team of backend and frontend engineers to continue evolving the product analytics platform and support our product managers, engineers and data specialists with the data they need to make informed decisions.
The team manages a platform handling billions of daily events and builds systems facilitating the collection of data directly in our products and the distribution to all the tools used by our organisation for data analysis. The team recently expanded in the domain of real time analytics with an objective to launch monitoring of our critical metrics.
The team's vision is to empower all Canvanauts to get actionable user feedback and learnings about their product in a fast and reliable way and make well tested and informed decisions.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- the continued development of new features, functionality, and optimisation. This includes improving the existing platform, for example, expanding the platform to support other teams to build near real-time critical metrics based on product analytics.
- design, build out, and autonomously lead discussions about our team's products to address problems from our product teams and company leaders and enable their teams to make fast and informed decisions about the products they build.
- collaboration with our users and collaborators such as data analysts and scientists, product managers and engineers across the organisation to build and improve the platform to get more accurate and timely insights into our products.
- coaching the professional development of the engineers on your team. This involves providing guidance and support to help them grow, finding opportunities for advancement, and holding them accountable for their own progress.
You're probably a match if:
- You have successful experience in a team leadership role with direct reports, whilst being hands on yourself.
- You have commercial experience developing complex, distributed web applications on the JVM; experience writing Java (experience with other JVM languages such as Scala, Kotlin, etc is fine - however, we primarily use Java 17).
- You are comfortable with computer science and engineering fundamentals: concurrency, data structures, and distributed systems.
- You're experienced working in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS) e.g. Kinesis, SQS, ECS. We're hosted on AWS and leverage the tools they provide as much as possible.
- You have disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach as opposed to framework or library-focused; We strive to build fast and lean solutions; not library/framework-heavy patchwork.
- You have validated communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. A Canva engineer strives to understand the exact problem before jumping into writing code - look before you leap!
- You've got experience developing data intensive applications, we maintain a growing large scale event streaming platform with billions of events coming through each day.
About the team
The Product Analytics Platform team owns the tools, services and processes used by hundreds of Canvanauts to measure the impact of our product on our users. Our mission is to "accelerate growth & delight by helping Canva to learn from every single user" which is achieved through an in house platform tailored for Canva's needs and practices and designed to empower all engineers and product managers to get user feedback and drive the development of Canva.
The data the team collects is ubiquitous and is the base of all analysis at Canva. The team continues to maintain and improve the platform and is branching in real time analytics processing to enable key business metrics to be computed and monitored as changes happen.
The team is part of the larger Data group which looks after the ecosystem of data systems and tools.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.