Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but Austria is home to part of our European operations. And with that you will have choice in how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
Fun fact - our Austrian team actually started out as Kaleido before being acquired by us in 2021. Kaleido's product team develops visual AI products, that make complex things simple for users. Now, together we deliver visual AI features within Canva to help reimagine how artificial intelligence can be used in design. We think it's a perfect match.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
In this role, you'll collaborate closely with our Frontend and Machine Learning Teams to solve complex system engineering problems and deliver a delightful experience to our users.
- Help us maintain and evolve our standalone product designify.com and its integration in Canva Product Photos. Additionally to that, you will also build backend services that will power our ML-based content generation features in Canva.
- Contribute to the evolving backend tech stack as part of a highly functional and passionate team.
- Work in close collaboration with the AI/ML and Frontend teams in Australia and Austria to deliver cutting-edge features in the domain of content generation.
- Write and test high-quality, reliable code in Java.
- Lead and deliver medium-sized projects in an autonomous way.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Commercial experience developing complex web applications in Java.
- Familiarity with AWS Cloud Infrastructure and services such as EC2, ECS, and Terraform. Additional experience with other cloud providers would be a plus e.g. GCP/Azure
- Experience in designing and working with distributed systems that need to scale and be robust to sustain heavy traffic.
- Know-How of tooling and concepts behind CI/CD.
- Work in one of the fastest-growing visual AI startups in Austria surrounded by like-minded people. Our visual AI products are industry-leading solutions that are easing the life of more than 25 million people globally every month.
- Be a part of the Canva family. Our collaboration with teams around the globe supercharges our work to empower the world to design. Canva’s success story is unique - and you benefit from it by participating in the company stock option program.
- Join an international team in Vienna (more than 65 people from 25 nationalities) and collaborate with lots of smart, like-minded people who love to ship quickly and you get to know the space of visual AI. Watch this video to learn more about our engineering organization - a tech talk given by your future coach/manager at Kaleido.
- You will have a flexible work schedule of 38.5h/week and a no-all-in contract. Work remotely, from our office located in Vienna's 3rd district, or mix-and-match. We can easily find an option that works best for you and Kaleido.
- We care about our employees and we believe mental health should be a priority, just like taking care of our bodies and staying in shape. We provide mental health support through an online platform specialized in professional counseling.
- Your lunch and your commute with Wiener Linien are on us. You can also find unlimited snacks, coffee, and beverages in our office.
- You receive a yearly allowance for professional education & personal well-being as well as additional leave days for volunteering.
- We organize regular (international) events at the company & team levels to foster team bonding.
We are required by law to state the minimum salary for this position , which is at least EUR 55,000 gross per year. We pay competitive salaries - depending on your qualifications and experience - and you also get to participate in the company’s stock option program .
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.