Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Role:
How do you teach a computer to choose fonts and colors, change a layout, or make artistic recommendations? To solve problems such as these, engineering must be tightly interwoven with a knowledge of UX and graphic design. If you’re an engineer who enjoys thinking in multiple domains, this role is for you.
We are looking for strong programming ability, creative problem solving, user empathy, and exceptional learning aptitude. Our team includes engineers with professional design experience and data scientists, but we are open to anyone naturally suited to combining engineering, product, and design.
Knowledge in such areas as machine learning, color science, data analysis, and metaheuristics are valued but not necessary.
- Primarily building web based features with Typescript, but may need to work with other languages and environments
- Collaborate with product managers, product designers, data scientists, and user researchers, while also learning/practicing your craft
- Driving projects from inception to completion
- Keeping your work aligned with real user problems and strategic technical goals
- Running quantitative and qualitative experiments with the assistance of a data analyst
- Contributing to the team’s product roadmap
- Build efficient and reusable abstractions
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- A user-centered approach to problem solving
- Strong creative problem solving with algorithms
- Able to apply both divergent and convergent thinking to open ended problems
- Strong aptitude for programming
- Knowledge of data science or analysis
- Knowledge of color science
- Experience with graphic design
- Experience with product design or user research
Recent Projects Include
- Using color science, heuristics, and constraint optimization to choose colors for vector images being added to the page
- A genetic algorithm for changing designs (ask us for details!)
- Transferring text between unrelated designs, using a random forest classifier to determine the role of text elements, and heuristics to style and reflow text
- Using clustering algorithms (e.g., mean shift, k-means) to generate color palettes and font combinations from existing designs
- A web based tool for generating multiple designs
- Algorithms for changing the layout of designs
- Secret things we can’t talk about yet!
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social area, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.