Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship office is in Sydney, Australia, but we've made our way from down under, to hubs in Austin and San Francisco, which are now home to our US operations. So whether you're in Texas or California, you have choice in where and how you work in each of those states. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Canva is looking for a Counsel, Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits to join its global legal team. This is an incredible opportunity to be Canva’s first legal specialist on employee equity and executive compensation matters and to partner with stakeholders across Canva to support its growth and mission. This role will be part of Canva’s dynamic Corporate legal team and will report to the Head of Corporate Legal based in the US.
What You'll Do:
- You will advise on employee equity, executive compensation and employee benefit matters.
- You'll partner with cross-functional teams, including People, Total Rewards, Finance, Tax and Accounting on various employee equity, executive compensation and employee benefits matters
- You will manage Canva’s global equity plans and provide legal advice on securities law and equity plan matters with respect to employee mobility and global expansion.
- You'll help develop and maintain employee education resources on equity compensation and equity plans.
- You will provide transactional support, including M&A deals, financings and employee tender offers, and support M&A integration.
- You'll support the corporate legal team on various other matters, as needed.
What You'll Have:
- You'll come with experience advising fast growing tech companies with employees in various jurisdictions with respect to equity plan matters, especially in an in-house role.
- You have strong knowledge of US securities laws (including Rule 701) and tax laws relating to executive compensation (including 409A)
- You have experience with securities law disclosure/compliance related to executive compensation, including public company and shareholder proxy disclosure.
- You have good judgment and a collaborative, flexible approach to problem-solving.
- You have the ability to communicate complex matters effectively and provide pragmatic advice that is risk aware, not risk averse.
- You come with a sense of ownership and the ability to navigate stakeholders and drive projects forward.
- You come with 4+ years of relevant experience.
- J.D. and licensed to practice law in California.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.