Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Coaching, mentoring and growing a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing editing vision.
- As a technical lead, you will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable and robust APIs to the core experience for Canva.
- Collaborating with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- Driving the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Fostering a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- Owning and driving the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
You're probably a match if you have:
- Experience in technical people leadership or mentorship of software engineers.
- Commercial experience in a software development environment, ideally with experience in building frameworks, libraries or APIs.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
About the team
The mission of the Editing API team is to expose core editing functionality via powerful, well documented, well supported APIs to allow both internal and external developers to extend and enhance the Canva Editor.
The Editor sits at the heart of Canva’s mission to empower everyone to design anything. There are hundreds of developers directly contributing to it and there is a big opportunity to enable these developers to move faster and add more powerful functionality by exposing better, more robust and safer APIs.
The Editing APIs team is a brand-new team within the Editing group and is expected to grow to ~5 engineers and a product manager by mid 2024.
About the role
Due to incredible product growth and the demand for exciting new features and functionality that will elevate the user experience to new heights, we're seeking to hire a technical leader that is close to the code but motivated by building high-functioning teams and world-class products.
You are someone who wants to be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, hiring, engagement with key partners across the business, and professional growth and development of the people they lead.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.