Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Build efficient and reusable frontend components and systems
- Collaborate with product designers and Figma designs to clearly understand all use cases while identifying engineering requirements
- Contribute to defining, improving, and codifying best practices and methodologies for frontend engineering at Canva
- Craft and present engaging presentations to the frontend specialty
- Communicate with other team members to figure out the best solutions to difficult problems
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
You're probably a match if
- We'd love to hear from you if you fit one or more of these:
- Experience developing rich web applications, ideally Typescript/React/MobX
- Working with a design system or maintaining components other teams depend on but an interest in the problem space goes a long way
- Six years experience building efficient and reusable frontend components and systems
- Practical knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Nice to have:
- Experience writing accessible code and reading detailed specifications (WCAG 2.1 AA)
- Experience in stakeholder communication or internal advocacy
- Cross-browser and cross-device development
About the Team
A design system is a collection of design guidelines, reusable user interface components, and related resources and tools.
The Design System Teams work on some of the biggest frontend problems, like accessibility, theming, surface architecture, and curating the set of foundational base components that all frontend engineers use daily. You would help build the design system in a scalable and consistent way, keeping in mind users, designers, and engineers alike. We have a unique opportunity to build a world-class design system and revolutionise ways of working across design and frontend engineering at Canva.
About the Role
You’ll get hands-on experience writing reusable code and technical documentation to build intuitive user experiences and actively refactor core parts of the application to use a new component as part of road-testing it. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer who knows how to both communicate well and design components that balance simplicity and flexibility.
- You'll learn how to build components that work for hundreds or thousands of use cases and align with design system patterns
- You'll learn how to build a design system in a complex product with a wide range of concerns, including accessibility, cross-platform, and cross-device considerations.
- You will learn how to navigate our Canva organizational structure, an ever-growing startup where you will have the opportunity to understand different team and engineer motivations and experiences, as well as teach them how to improve frontend best practices using our tools that we built.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.