Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but in Aotearoa, we have a hub in Auckland that we call home to our local operations. And with that, you have choice in how and where you work. That means if you want to do your thing at our Auckland hub (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on, leading a team of frontend engineers to elevate the user experience through delightful, new features and functionality of our Canva Docs product.
- Coach, mentor, and grow a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing Docs vision.
- Have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver high value impact
- Help the team deliver scalable and robust product features to the core experience for Canva users around the world.
- Own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- Drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Foster a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
You're probably a match if you have:
- Success in technical people leadership or mentorship of engineers.
- Experience with Quill or other rich text editors would be a nice bonus!
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
About the team
The Docs Team’s mission is to build a powerful, yet simple text editor, that empowers anyone to create visually appealing documents. We work together to deliver key features and a delightful user experience with a strong technical foundation that scales as our product becomes more sophisticated.
As a scaling team, comprised of 10 engineers, 2 product designers, a product manager, an engineering QA and a data analyst, Docs is essential to deliver major growth for Canva and reframing our place in the market.
About the Role/Specialty
To support this growing responsibility of the Docs team, we’re looking at setting up a new team within Docs that will be tasked with taking our text editing experience to the next level.
This is where you come in. We're seeking to hire a technical leader that is close to the code but motivated by building high-functioning teams and world-class products.
You'll be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, engagement with key collaborators across the business, and professional growth and development of the people you coach
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.