Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
About the team
Join the dynamic and innovative "Assistant" team at Canva, where we are revolutionising the way users interact with our platform! As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to work on a cutting-edge natural language understanding system that seamlessly integrates into Canva, enhancing the user experience and making their creative journey even more enjoyable.
We are proud to have recently released a milestone of our LLM-powered help system, but that's just the beginning.
Collaboration is at the heart of what we do. As a member of the "Assistant" team, you will have the opportunity to work closely with other talented teams across the company, integrating natural language understanding into their projects and making a significant impact on the overall Canva experience.
We embrace a remote-friendly work environment, allowing you the flexibility to work from anywhere in Australia. With team members located in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Sydney, you will be joining a diverse and inclusive team that values collaboration and creativity.
The Machine Learning Engineering specialty is engaged in delivering value to Canva’s users, by designing, building and maintaining complex production systems to apply statistics and machine learning at scale. We're building a highly personalised Canva; developing and productionising user modelling that directly drives product features and targeting messaging and marketing; making it easy for users to discover over 100M+ templates, photos, videos and elements; applying ML to label and transform a vast number and variety of images; and leveraging our unique design data to empower users to design.
We're looking to grow the team to continue to scale the impact of machine learning across Canva. You'll be joining a fast-moving cross-functional team, rapidly building and shipping machine learning-driven features to users and staff.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on
- Leading the ML development of an natural language understanding/processing system that integrates seamlessly into Canva Product.
- Improving the scalability of our NLU components.
- Contributing to full cycle of models, improving current LLMs through prompt engineering and guiding the team on evaluation/deployment best practices of Natural Language systems.
- Desiging and Creating new solutions to cater the quality required by our Product and Engineering teams.
- Sharing and Articulating ideas to influence teams and help guiding the overall direction of the project.
- Running offline experiments and (in future) online to understand Customer Design Journeys.
You're probably a match if
- You have more than 5 years of Industry experience in the machine learning /software engineering role with a Product/SaaS company.
- You have experience with industry level high scale Natural Language Systems.
- You have experience building and deploying machine learning models, including strong understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- You have strong Coding proficiency in Python, interviews will be in Python.
- You are familiar with several of the following: TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Kubernetes, Docker, Solr/ElasticSearch
- You have strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- You have strong research skills: the ability to dig through deep learning literature and translate this into product and value for users.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering / Science or Mathematics.
- You have excellent collaboration and communication skills.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.