We are searching for an experienced Senior/Lead UX Researcher to help us assess our ML models both qualitatively and quantitatively across diverse user and stakeholder groups. Your findings will influence the direction in which we train our ML models, and the AI features that Canva users use in-product when designing anything from social media posts, presentations, documents, videos, and more.
Research projects you’ll oversee directly tie to Canva’s company-wide goals, so increasing user understanding and identifying key product opportunities is of critical importance.
Your sphere of ownership covers.. .
- collaborating closely with Applied Scientists, ML Engineers and Data Scientists to ensure their work is informed by user insights
- comparing our models with other external models, designs, and assets to maintain a competitive edge
- becoming a subject matter expert in Machine Learning / AI, and sharing this knowledge across the Canva research team and other product teams
- …plus more!
- Lead high-priority research projects for Visual AI Group including developing an evaluation framework to assess ML model outcomes with a variety of user and stakeholder groups.
- Apply a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods to analyze user or product data and distill this into written and visual reports.
- Build relationships and closely collaborate with your project stakeholders, and across the Supergroup
- Participate and contribute to our UX Research sub-specialty: own or contribute to special projects, provide feedback to fellow researchers, share your ideas for how we can improve
- Provide consultative guidance to PMs and Designers conducting their own research, within the Design Experience Supergroup (e.g. office hours)
- Be a champion for our users, and product experience: share your insights publicly across the company and inspire change that needs to be made to improve the Canva user experience.
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva
- Highly experienced with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Deep expertise in defining quantitative metrics to assess quality (and/or user experience)
- A systems thinker and go-getter: has experience developing programs of research from the ground up, including at scale
- Experience working with product teams on emerging technology
- Experience collaborating closely with engineering teams / data analysts
- Pragmatism. You know when to be scrappy to get something delivered, and when rigour is truly needed
- Problem-first mindset. You're obsessed with identifying gaps/opportunities and enjoy deeply investigating ambiguous problems.
- Growth Mindset. You're eager to learn and develop your skills whilst having fun along the way!
- Able to share back findings in a clearly and compelling manner (like all researchers)
- Based in Europe (ideally Vienna)
- Fluent in English
Nice to have
- Human-Computer Interaction degree
- Engineering background; prototyping skills
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
Servus, hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but Austria is home to part of our European operations. And with that you will have choice in how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
Fun fact - our Austrian team actually started out as Kaleido before being acquired by us in 2021. Kaleido's product develops visual AI products, that make complex things simple for users. Now, together we deliver visual AI features within Canva to help reimagine how artificial intelligence can be used in design. We think it's a perfect match.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At Canva, our users are at the heart of everything we do. Our UX Research team plays a vital role in the vision and success of our company. One of the best things about Canva is how much everyone across the business cares about users and improving their experience - you’ll never have to sell anyone on the value of user research.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s multi-faceted user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide. Our research team is diverse, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s multi-faceted user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide.
Our research team is diverse, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
The Design Experience team at Canva is on a mission to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything. We work on the core editing components and tools that people around the world use to design everything from social media graphics, to documents, to videos and more.
Pursuing our mission not only supports our existing user base, but we believe will also empower people from around the globe to find and use Canva for the first time; contributing directly to our company-critical Monthly Active User targets.
Visual AI Group develops trusted and advanced AI models to deliver world-leading features for creative productivity. While our primary focus is on R&D, we always ensure that users and their needs remains at the forefront, even in the early stages of exploration.