Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, hello, hiya, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Design, develop and deploy solutions to challenging Design AI problems – working closely with other machine learning engineers, backend engineers, frontend engineers, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our users
- Hypothesis-driven development of data and ML-driven features across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models and features, as well as using third-party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Investigating and spiking applications of data and ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapid shipping.
- Contributing to the full life cycle of ML/data models: data analysis, data preprocessing and pipeline, modelling, tuning and productisation.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Designing and creating new data workflows and deploying these workflows to users.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
You're probably a match if
- You have experience or a strong interest in design. This team works at the intersection of engineering and design so a genuine desire or proven experience in this space is essential.
- You are proficient in Python coding.
- You are familiar with several of the following: TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Kubernetes, Solr/ElasticSearch, dataset creation.
- You have a strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- You demonstrate strong research skills: the ability to dig through machine learning literature and translate this into products and value for users.
- SQL experience preferred.
About the team
Style AI is essential in fulfilling Canva's mission to 'empower the world to design' by using AI to automate design decisions for our users, irrespective of their design skill level. By making the editor 'smarter' through AI, you will have a huge impact in driving user growth and retention by taking our product to the next level.
We are exploring new territory. Outside the domain of pixels, Design AI is severely under-developed across the entire tech industry. Whilst conventional modern ML techniques clearly play a role in Design AI, much of it does not easily apply to working with structured design data or operating within the constraints of a browser-based editor. It’s necessary to combine modern ML with low-mid tech algorithms, design domain knowledge, heuristics, and crafty new inventions.
As our new Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will collaborate with a product engineering team in adopting new expertise and inventing new technologies.
Some of our recent projects
- Constructing lightweight models to quickly classify design contents in the web browser
- Probabilistic modelling of usage data to change themes of designs
- Extracting colour palettes from media to apply to the user's design
- Running preference tests to assess the subjective quality of design algorithms
- Advising other teams on how to make best use of the capabilities we develop
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and support you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.