Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Coaching, mentoring and growing a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing editing vision.
- As a technical lead, you will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable and robust APIs to the core experience for Canva.
- Collaborating with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- Driving the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Fostering a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- Owning and driving the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
You're probably a match if you have:
- Experience in technical people leadership or mentorship of software engineers.
- Commercial experience in a software development environment, ideally with experience in building frameworks, libraries or APIs.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
About the team
The Editing Performance team is responsible for making the Editor lightning fast and scaling it to support the growing number of ways that people are designing with Canva.
Editing performance is a broad area. It includes things like page load, latency of interactions, jank/dropped frames, memory usage (and associated OOM crashes) and more.
Even more than that, we want users to feel that Canva is fast. Performance issues should never be a reason why we can’t launch a new feature or businesses are unable to use the product.
Our goal is for the Canva editor to be fast for everyone. All platforms. All devices. All network connections. All designs and doctypes.
About the role
We’re looking for an engineering manager who is not afraid to jump into the complex space that is Editing Performance. You’ll be managing a team of ~7 engineers (predominantly mid-senior level engineers) to build a fast editor that scales to support all designs.
We are seeking someone who wants to be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, hiring, engagement with key stakeholders across the business, and professional growth and development of the people they lead.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.