Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- You will lead and coach a team of 2-4 engineers focused on building and operating the AppRuntime.
- You will be accountable for team delivery and ongoing delivery improvements.
- You will be a hands-on leader contributing directly to goal progress with code.
- Drive vision-setting, strategy and planning for the team in collaboration with Product and Design. You will be accountable for the technical strategy and roadmap.
- You will contribute to the technical strategy by representing one of the four Apps API Platform teams in the larger Ecosystem supergroup of eleven.
- Collaborate with Canva engineers to scope and solve complex problems that are highly impactful to Ecosystem objectives.
- Create an impactful and highly engaged team of world-class engineers building for thousands of 3rd party developers and billions of users.
- Drive planning, refinement and delivery of seasonal goals, ensuring alignment across the group and teams.
You're probably a match if
- You’re an experienced technical and people leader - having led successful teams where everyone can share their best ideas and be their best selves.
- You understand the product life cycle, features, technical debt, QA, and supporting quality at speed.
- Prior experience working in teams that support developers is beneficial but not mandatory (such as a public ecosystem or internal platform teams)
- You can leverage your experience as a software engineer to lead engineering strategy by driving pragmatic tradeoffs and prioritising tech projects such as scaling and debt recovery at the right time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work with a diverse range of Canvanauts from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs.
About the team
We aim to build the world’s richest Ecosystem of apps and integrations for visual design and communications that supercharge Canva’s ability to meet the diverse needs of a billion users and drive Canva’s MAU growth.
With the proliferation of innovations in generative AI and as large organizations have increasingly complex workflows to manage their designs, Canva is well poised to become the platform that simplifies access and discovery of services related to visual design. We are already working with hundreds of developers to enable access to these exciting products with our Apps SDK and Canva public REST API!
As one of the teams in Ecosystem, the App Runtime team provides a centralised, sandboxed platform for 3rd party Apps to run reliably and securely in multiple areas of Canva and facilitates API teams to build and expose more APIs.
About the Role/Specialty
As the Engineering Manager of this team, you will be responsible for building a high-performing and cohesive team aligned to reach the team’s vision. You will play a vital role in setting the engineering strategy to ensure we offer secure and reliable products while managing debt and delivery tradeoffs as we work toward our crazy big goals. A unique opportunity in this role is that the customers are developers, which means Canva engineers can bring insights into our product roadmap.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.