About the Group/Team
Canva China is a team of over 150 people, spanning from engineering, growth, design and operations, and are supported by our Sydney Headquarters. As a Technical Program Manager, you will work with all stakeholders to ensure the delivery success of our team in China. You will collaborate on the Canva China strategy, as well as work on delivering experiments and features that help our users become more successful. You will work closely with both your onsite team in China and teams’ in Canva headquarters on a daily basis.
About the Role/Specialty
At Canva, we’re all constantly striving towards our Crazy Big Goals! Since growing to a worldwide team of over 4,000 we need to work effectively together and improve our delivery ability as we scale, which is where our Technical Program Managers come in.
As a Technical Program Manager, it is your mission to work closely with senior managers and product development teams to build a sustainable culture of positive urgency in delivery. You will lead complex, multi-disciplinary programs and be equally comfortable working with leadership to set strategic goals and clarify priorities, as you are with teams to communicate program status, escalate issues and manage dependencies as you are discussing technical trade-offs with an engineer.
What you’ll do (responsibilities)
- Partner with Group Leadership to facilitate the delivery of Canva’s highest priority, complex and multi-disciplinary initiatives
- Proactively engage product delivery teams, understanding their delivery challenges and track delivery across the China project portfolio
- Actively engage with engineering teams to identify and proactively mitigate program risks & issues
- Assist in the identification of & help manage product delivery dependencies across teams and groups
- Facilitate effective, timely and transparent team decision making practices
- Promote consistency in cycle planning, documentation and core practices across teams to ensure sustainable velocity, whilst maintaining flexibility to adapt to diverse requirements
- Facilitate continual improvement rituals to build on the effectiveness of product development and engineering teams
- Foster a culture of excellence by integrating innovative approaches within projects and promoting a dynamic and forward-thinking environment
- Build strategic partnerships with cross-functional teams, including active collaboration with engineering teams to influence technical decisions, drive alignment, and deliver successful product outcomes
- Partner with the TPM group to help codify and build the TPM craft and practice
What we're looking for
- A minimum of 3 years TPM experience in internet industry.
- Deep understanding of Agile product development processes
- Knowledgeable in technical concepts, systems and practices
- Experience working with onsite and remote Product Managers, Designers and Engineers to deliver key company initiatives
- Comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- A natural communicator who leads through influence, not authority
- A love for navigating complexity and tackling ambiguous problems
- Leadership capability to ensure clarity, alignment and accountability to achieve our crazy big goals
- Ability to think strategically but also able to make crazy big goals happen. This role will be very hands-on!
- Proficient in Mandarin & English
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratize design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture, and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since Canva’s launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing 125 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 15 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia, but our hubs in Beijing and Wuhan are home to our operations in China. Our China hubs have been designed with you in mind - a space for you to come together and connect with your team, both near and far. With delicious breakfast and lunch meals provided (and with plenty of snacks), you'll always stay fuelled to take on the day. Zoom the Sydney team with tea and biscuit? You got it!
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.