Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Coaching, mentoring, and growing a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team.
- As a technical lead, you will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable solutions to the core experience for Canva.
- Collaborating with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- Driving the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Fostering a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- Owning and driving the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
You're probably a match if you have:
- Proven success in leading frontend engineers in a product focused team to build and ship impactful product and/or changes.
- Experience in technical people leadership or mentorship of software engineers.
- Passion for great UX, storytelling and collaboration.
- Consideration for performance, especially as it relates to a great product experience.
- Commercial experience in a software development environment, ideally with experience in building frameworks, libraries or APIs.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
About the team
Presentations & Whiteboards is a key group in Canva, responsible for those two major doctypes within our visual communications worksuite. They’ve had an extraordinary year of growth with most of our key metrics hitting all time highs. Presentations now contributes 31.6% to Canva monthly active users (MAU), with 55 million monthly active users. Whiteboards is sitting at 8.8 million MAU with an all time high retention rate. The on-going mission is to become the #1 platform in the world for storytelling and collaboration.
While we have shipped world class products, there is still much to be done. We have a packed upcoming road map of features that will take both Presentations & Whiteboards to new heights. Expect a strong focus on both AI/ML integration, interactivity, drawing, and other power user features.
The Engage Team is responsible for owning the critical user journeys around presenting and sharing presentations & whiteboard designs, both in live and asynchronous scenarios. Apply today to lead the team taking our 2 major doctypes to the next level.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.