Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At The Moment, This Role Is Focused On
Your primary goal will be to uncover opportunities for the business to grow and to provide concrete recommendations as to how to realise those opportunities, that is, to influence the product roadmap using data. You will do this by:
- Finding strategic Insights – combining deep product knowledge with data to produce strategic insights about how to grow the business and improve the a feature.
- Experimenting – designing experiments to test the hypotheses formulated from user research and your own strategic insights, analysing the results, and using them to influence next steps.
- Influencing with Metrics – designing and building goal metrics, forecasting and setting targets, designing analytic events that track feature usage, and building them into dashboards that track performance and product usage patterns. Then using them to diagnose issues at a high-level and influence what the business does.
- Supporting with General Data– supporting the business by providing the data on feature usage that gives them the context they need to make good decisions, and working out ways of making this process more efficient (e.g. via self-serve).
You're probably a match if
- You have proven record of influencing the business with data, and directly contributing to company growth.
- You have a strong base in the fundamental technical skills of data science – hypothesis-driven problem solving, using SQL to wrangle data, numerical thinking, designing & forecasting goal metrics, uncovering strategic insights, and storytelling with data.
- You have the soft skills & personal qualities that tend to make data scientists successful – attention to accuracy, interpreting data faithfully, speaking persuasively in public, and writing concisely and clearly.
- You have experience with other technical data science skills, especially experimenting, designing analytic events, & data warehousing.
- You may have a grounding in mathematics/statistics and a bachelor's degree in a STEM area.
- You have worked in a tech company before and are familiar with the way a tech company operates and some of the concepts particular to our industry (e.g. growth accounting, product funnels, designing analytic events, etc.)
- You have experience with R or Python, and have dealt with large datasets before.
About the team
At Canva, our mission is to empower the world to design, and we’re looking for insightful data scientists who can help us make that happen.
Our product has grown enormously in the last few years. We now have 100s of millions of users generating enormous quantities of data every single day. To help us fuel our future growth, we need to better understand our data - this is where we need your help.
We're looking for self-motivated individuals who are curious about our product and our users, and who are excited to seek out valuable insights. We don’t want you to just be a resource that answers questions - we want you to act as a genuine data partner with your team and the broader business. We have a LOT of data and need people who can use their skills to help us make the most of it!
Data Scientists at Canva are embedded in cross-functional teams organised around a specific set of user features. This means that we work closely with colleagues in product, design, research, and engineering to produce informed data insights about the set of user features we’re responsible for, and we strive to influence the product roadmap.
Our data team is part of the “ Brand Experience ” Group, a group of roughly 60 cross-functional colleagues who build features that make it easy and efficient for our users to stay on-brand when designing. These are some of the most important paid Canva features in terms of revenue generation and a pivotal set of features to unlock Canva’s next stage of growth among Enterprises. Try the features for yourself! Let us know what you think of Brand Kit, Resize and Magic Switch, and Bulk Create, just some of the features we support (note you’ll need to sign up for a trial to Canva Pro).
Although we’re embedded in the business, we’re still part of a more central data team in which we prioritise initiatives, learn from each other and so you’ll always have data colleagues from whom to ask for advice.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.