Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Canva is seeking a business-minded lawyer with a solid understanding of technology contracts, experience in managing a high volume of commercial transactions, and ideally some fluency in Mandarin to support Canva and its China business, as and when needed. You will help Canva continue its growth and success with a focus on commercial contracting, in support of our sales, procurement, and partnerships across the broader APAC region, where the majority of support will be. You will also lean in to support our China team and so experience working across borders and understanding different business cultures, in order to operate most effectively, will be key.
You will join a dynamic global legal team working on a variety of innovative legal issues across the entire company. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgment, and strong business sense to assess and mitigate legal risk while finalising contracts at a fast pace.
What you'll do
- Review, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements with vendors, customers, and partners.
- Respond promptly to legal questions and requests from various stakeholders in the business.
- Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations, including data privacy laws.
- Suggest and help implement improvements to existing processes and enablement resources.
- Play an important role in helping the legal team maintain its playbooks, templates, and other know-how.
We'd love it if you
- Are qualified to practice in Australia, fluent in Mandarin and able to perform all required tasks of the role in both English and Mandarin
- Have a familiarity with Chinese data privacy laws
- Have hands-on experience reviewing and negotiating a variety of contracts (ideally with China based companies) at a fast-paced technology company.
- Are experienced using contracting tools (e.g. Ironclad and DocuSign)
- Are excited to roll up your sleeves, learn the business and proactively identify and analyse opportunities and risks.
- Are comfortable participating in cross-functional and internationally distributed teams.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.