Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Design Intelligence is essential in fulfilling Canva's mission to 'empower the world to design' by using AI to automate design decisions for our users, irrespective of their design skill level. By making the editor 'smarter' through AI, you will have a huge impact in driving user growth and retention by taking our product to the next level.
We are exploring new territory. Outside the domain of pixels, Design AI is severely under-developed across the entire tech industry. Whilst conventional modern ML techniques clearly play a role in Design AI, much of it does not easily apply to working with structured design data or operating within the constraints of a browser-based editor. It’s necessary to combine modern ML with low-mid tech algorithms, design domain knowledge, heuristics, and crafty new inventions.
As our Frontend Team Eng Lead, you will support multi-talented frontend engineers in adopting new expertise and inventing new technologies.
What you'll do
- Lead a team of 2 - 3 frontend engineers who are making design faster and more enjoyable through automation.
- Design, develop and deploy solutions to challenging Design AI problems – working closely with MLE's, backend engineers, frontend engineers, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our users
- Coach, mentor, and strengthen a team of frontend engineers through project selection, knowledge sharing and balancing delivery expectations
- Nurture and grow skills in the team including machine learning, colour science, computational geometry, metaheuristics, design principles and related skills
- You will give meaningful input into the engineering direction and strategy for the team
- You will resource plan effectively as the feasibility of our projects are very tightly linked to the skills sets and strengths of specific engineers
- You will work closely with the Product Manager and ML Engineering Lead to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- You will drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- You will own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
What you bring
- You are experienced in technical and people leadership, making sound decisions and delivering outcomes on technical projects
- Experience or strong interest in design. This team works at the intersection of engineering and design so a genuine desire or proven experience in this space is essential
- You can effectively communicate (inside the team and outside) the value of short- and long-term features, translating technical details to the business value, building support and trust from stakeholders.
- Proven track record in running long-term engineering projects
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.