At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Be a part of the project and design your future.
About content team
At Canva , we’re transforming the way the world designs. A vital part of this mission is the content that users can add to their designs — photos, graphics, fonts, videos, and more. As the company grows, so does our user base, and in order to ensure we’re providing fresh, relevant ‘ingredients’ for all of their design needs, we’re continually producing and acquiring new and localised content .
About the role
The mission of the Photos team is to create high-quality, diverse and inspiring photography . One of our biggest goals is to diversify and grow our image library providing our users with authentic, culturally relevant photos that they can use in their designs. Canva is a unique platform, different from other stock libraries that you may have worked with in the past. We are a platform providing millions of assets for free, to empower the world to design! We have 100 million active monthly users from all over the globe, as well as 8,000 photography contributors across multiple channels adding amazing content every day.
We are looking for photographers to join the Contractor Photography Pool that is managed by the in-house Canva- Smartmockups team . We are interested in engaging in an initial project with the opportunity of extending our relationship to ongoing, regular photography work across a 12-month period . We’re looking to engage with photographers on a freelance basis, who are able to work on a list of creative briefs that we refresh often. As Smartmockups , we help people and businesses over the world create engaging visual materials. Our online mockup tool features a stellar mockup library, and intuitive design tools, and is available anywhere, anytime. Smartmockups is the easiest way to showcase your designs on real-world products. Our mockup library needs a range of fresh and varied photos, that have a high technical standard - so we’re after senior self-motivated photographers physically based in Japan who would enjoy combining technical expertise with the creativity of choosing local setups of the photo shoots.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate closely with the Canva Smartmockups team during the pre-production stage. Tasks include, but are not limited to: Casting the appropriate models, Booking the appropriate studio/location, Securing signed model/property releases when applicable, Booking relevant creative collaborators when appropriate (i.e. hair and makeup artist, fashion stylist, etc.), Sourcing relevant props, Mindfully allocating the provided allowance, Securing official receipts for all expenses
- Shoot photographs in line with creative briefs directed by the Canva Smartmockups team and in line with the provided technical guidelines
- Meet the production deadline by executing the production in an efficient manner
- Submit a refined set of photos, choosing only the best shots per layout
- Upon the approval of photos by the Canva Smartmockups Team, submit the invoice along with the official receipts for all expenses for processing
Experience you’ll need ...
- An online portfolio showcasing your photography
- Long and proven experience and demonstrations with promotional and product photography
- Are skilled with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom or other similar post-production software.
- Have a good command of English and the local language
- Own your own photography equipment Have the ability to take creative and art direction from the Canva Smartmockups Team
- Have a strong eye and experience shooting images with style variations
- Have the ability to source talents and secure necessary releases (model release, property release, etc.) Are able to manage production within the allotted production timeline
- Have proven ability to deliver fresh, relevant, high-quality photographs
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make decisions to engage contractors based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that contractor-accreditation meetings are conducted virtually. When you signify interest in the Project, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the contractor-accreditation interview process.