Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Howdy, howdy! This opportunity is huge - we are a small Smartmockups team, working on the Canva product! Smartmockups helps people and businesses the world over create engaging visual materials. Our online mockup tool features a stellar mockup library, intuitive design tools, and is available anywhere, anytime. Smartmockups is the easiest way to showcase your designs on real-world products. Launched in 2016, Smartmockups proudly joined the Canva family in 2021.We're on a common mission to revolutionize product visualizations and help bring the design for 85 MAUs to life!
Finally - you're probably curious about our technology stack. At a high level, Canva's backend is powered by a set of services (some micro, some not-so-micro) built primarily in Java, hosted on Linux, sitting on AWS. We also sprinkle in some powerful open-source libraries and tools, as well as bespoke components to power some of the magic. Canva stack is slightly different from what we use at Smartmockups - backend technologies that we use are Node.Js, WebGL, HTML Canvas, AWS, MongoDB, etc.
About the Team
We have an ambitious roadmap of integrating SM product visualization into Canva and need the help of more BE engineers to help with those goals.In total we have 12 people in engineering - we all still have a big impact and the ability to do crazy big things. Our Engineering consists of three teams - two of them are working on Canva integrations - Smartmockups product and Smartmockups tool in Canva. This backend engineer will join our team to work on critical Smartmockups <> Canva integrations. Join us and design your future.
What you’ll do day by day
- You' ll be part of Integrations team and work on new Product visualization products and integration our product inside Canva
- You'll be day by day finding the best possible ways to adapt best practices from Sydney engineering teams into our environment - basically you'll be one of the first engineers who'll be working on backend integrations in Smartmockups team directly with Canva stack!
- Build, and debug Product visualization experience and product features in Java/if you have some knowledge of Node.Js would be big plus
- Propose innovative solutions to ensure we future-proof product and features as print grows
- Actively participate in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Optimize backend performance for global scale
- Once you’ve settled in and have a comfortable grasp of the product, environment, and processes, you’ll be given more responsibility and start leveraging your previous experience — bringing new ideas to the table
- Cooperate between various engineering team within Canva Global and Canva Europe.
We'd love it if you have...
- Commercial experience developing complex web applications - our is pretty big as you probably realized!
- Currently, we use mostly Node.js so ideally, you will be comfortable using both (node.Js and Java) technologies but we are also open to pure Java developer! Because in 2023 we are planning to use more Java as one of the major backend technologies.
While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!Collaboration skills, passion for what we do and for coding! :)
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home).
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.