Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Group
The Search and Recommendations Group is a core component of the Canva user experience. They are responsible for providing the core platform that allows all of Canva's amazing templates, images, stickers, video, audio, etc, to be discovered inside and outside Canva. With that, they also own key in-product surfaces to allow users to discover content before and during design.
With over 100 million assets in our library (and rapidly growing), this group is key in ensuring that every user in every locale can find the content they need to create amazing designs. With so much content, surfacing the right ingredients to the right user, at the right time will be critical for the future success of Canva.
About the Product Design specialty
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers, we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
There is a magic that occurs where design and engineering collide – that has been the philosophy that has driven the success of a lot of our product experiences. We’re looking for someone who understands this magic and can work within the design team to help craft experiences that are detailed, polished, and push the boundaries of what’s technically possible, as well as inspire teams and leaders to invest in new ideas.
As a creative technologist, you’ll be part of the Product Design specialty, collaborating with all of our product designers to come up with interesting solutions to design problems, prototype new ideas, and figure out the details that go into a good design before they get fully built. You’ll also be an invaluable bridge between the design and engineering teams, helping the full vision of the design team to roll out to our millions of users.
Goals you'll achieve
- You’ll prototype using AI technologies (generation, computer vision, natural language processing, etc) to life in Canva.
- You’ll empower designers, researchers and product owners in building and testing future concepts of searching and interacting with content.
- You’ll work with designers and machine learning engineers to define and unify patterns for AI in upcoming experiences.
- You’ll define long-term research and strategies for AI innovations with our Engineering and Product leads.
- You’ll research and work with data analysts to identify areas to iterate and improve with relevant stakeholders.
- You’ll work with fellow designers, researchers and engineers to define patterns and use cases for AI across Canva.
- You’ll search and identify projects to innovate and build testing concepts for the Content & Discovery group that truly bring the magic to Canva
What you’ll do
- Design for the future. You will work hand-in-hand with Product Designers and leading machine learning experts to define how we translate advanced technology to easy-to-understand user experiences.
- Build a world-class experience. You’ll be a key contributor in experimenting with concepts and defining how users search and interact with content on Canva.
- Strategy & Vision. You'll team up with the Engineering Lead and Product Lead to define and articulate the product strategy and vision for the future of Search & Recommendation experiences.
- Collaborate. You'll work closely with other designers in Search & Recommendations and across Canva to define UX patterns for recommendations, AI and search.
- Develop the product features. You'll impact millions of users by helping people find the content they need.
- Iterate. You'll gather findings to iterate through the use of research and data with our machine learning engineers and data scientists to create the most impactful experiences.
What we're looking for
- Technical knowledge for prototyping. You're comfortable with modern web frameworks (Angular, React, Vue, etc) and CSS based animations.
- Passion for working with ML & AI. You’re excited by the possibilities and future of machine learning and artificial intelligence. You have some experience working with emerging technologies like Runway ML/Tensorflow and well-known models like GPT-2/3/StyleGAN.
- Keen visual eye. You enjoy defining the details of UI that can translate across millions of users in hundreds of countries.
- User empathy. You value the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to design.
- Collaborative Approach. You're happiest when working closely with engineers, product managers and other designers. You love feedback and brainstorming ideas.
- Effective communication skills. You seek understanding first and strive to communicate clearly in a helpful way.
- Pragmatism. You know when to be scrappy to get something delivered, and when to push back to really uncover the root user need.
- Expertise in formulating hypotheses. You're comfortable leading them with the team from ideation to execution and driving those learnings back to the team and organisation.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.