Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Canva is looking for its first Lead Employment Counsel for APAC. This is an incredible opportunity to coach a team of talented lawyers and be part of our highly motivated and collaborative global employment legal team.
Reporting to the Global Head of Employment Legal (based in Australia), this is a super exciting opportunity for an employment lawyer looking for their next challenge.
If you’re someone who has the ability to deal with issues outside your experience and can learn quickly in a fast-paced and often unstructured environment, this is your opportunity!
What you'll do
- Lead a team of talented lawyers based in Australia and the Philippines and provide support to the Head of Employment Legal
- Be the primary point of contact for APAC related employment matters
- Possess sound understanding on employment/labour laws and have experience of working in a global environment to oversee advice and strategy on APAC employment law matters
- Advise on day-to-day employment related matters throughout the region across Canva’s employee and contingent workforce
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of workplace policies, processes, guidance and templates
- Support Canva-wide learning initiatives, including delivering training on employment-related topics
- Work closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders including the People Team (aka HR), Total Rewards, Tax, Finance and other parts of the Canva Group as required
What we're looking for
- Admitted to practice in Australia
- You have 8+ years as a practicing employment lawyer. Ideally, you would also have relevant in-house experience in a multinational organisation, preferably in the tech space
- You have hands-on experience partnering with, or advising, HR teams and other key stakeholders at international organisations on a broad range of employment matters
- You have some experience building and coaching a team
- You’re a skilled communicator and you have confidence and experience translating complex legal concepts into practical solutions
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.