Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
This is an opportunity to relocate to Australia, as the role will be based there. We would support you with visas and relocation costs.
About the group you'll be joining
The Search and Recommendations Group is a core component of the Canva user experience. Our group is responsible for providing the core platform that allows users to discover all of Canva’s amazing content and their own in their organizations. This means users find the right template for their next pitch deck, the perfect picture for their promotional instagram post, or the document they shared 2 weeks with their boss.
With over 100 million assets in our library and billions of personal content, this group is key in ensuring that every user in every locale can find the content they need to create amazing designs. With so much content, surfacing the right ingredients to the right user, at the right time will be critical for the future success of Canva.
About being a Product Designer at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
Goals you'll achieve
- You’ll design and prototype bringing AI technologies (generation, computer vision, natural language processing, etc) to life in Canva.
- You’ll work with designers and machine learning engineers to define and unify patterns for AI in upcoming experiences.
- You’ll audit existing Recommendations and Magic patterns today in Canva and identify areas of improvement.
- You’ll define long-term research and strategies for content recommendations and AI innovations with our Engineering and Product leads.
- You’ll design recommendations UI and patterns to be used across Canva and built into our design systems.
- You’ll research and work with data analysts to identify areas to iterate and improve with relevant stakeholders.
- You’ll work with fellow designers, researchers and engineers to define patterns and use cases for AI across Canva
What you’ll do
- Design for the future. You will work hand-in-hand with leading machine learning experts to define how we translate advanced technology to easy-to-understand user experiences.
- Build a world-class experience. You’ll be a key contributor to defining the Search & Recommendations design system and work closely with our Design Systems team to define patterns for the future.
- Strategy & Vision. You'll team up with the Engineering Lead and Product Lead to define and articulate the product strategy and vision for the future of Search & Recommendation experiences.
- Collaborate. You'll work closely with other designers in Search & Recommendations and across Canva to define UX patterns for recommendations, AI and search.
- Develop the product features. You'll impact millions of users by helping people find the content they need.
- Iterate. You'll gather findings to iterate through the use of research and data with our machine learning engineers and data scientists to create the most impactful experiences.
What we're looking for
- End-to-end Product Design Experience. You've designed and shipped multiple products or features, across a variety of platforms.
- Passion for working with ML & AI. You’re excited by the possibilities and future of machine learning and artificial intelligence. Some experience working with ML/recommendation systems is a plus.
- Keen visual eye. You enjoy defining the details of UI that can translate across millions of users in hundreds of countries.
- User empathy. You value the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to design.
- Collaborative Approach. You're happiest when working closely with engineers, product managers and other designers. You love feedback and brainstorming ideas.
- Effective communication skills. You seek understanding first and strive to communicate clearly in a helpful way.
- Pragmatism. You know when to be scrappy to get something delivered, and when to push back to really uncover the root user need.
- Expertise in formulating hypotheses. You're comfortable leading them with the team from ideation to execution and driving those learnings back to the team and organisation.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home).
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.