Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company.
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Our engineering team's tag-line: “We fail fast” - Dynamic processes, implementing new ideas, trying, failing, and improving rapidly. The world of tech is ever-evolving, and so are we.
In this role, you will lead a team of exceptional Machine Learning Engineers focused on advancing the field of design AI. You will have the opportunity to mentor and coach your team to achieve their full potential while collaborating on generative AI models that will be used by millions of users each month , making an impact across the globe. As part of a dynamic team, you will have the freedom to explore new ideas, experiment with novel solutions, and implement creative approaches to enhance our products. With a focus on delivering high-quality AI solutions on time and within scope, you will play an integral role in fostering a positive and productive work environment that encourages collaboration, open communication, and continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Coach, lead, and mentor your team to help them achieve their goals.
- Perform structured performance reviews with your team members, conduct regular 1:1s, participate in the hiring process of new engineers, and plan goals & milestones for your team.
- Work on generative AI models that will be used by millions of users monthly and make a global impact.
- Oversee and monitor the progress of AI projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, within scope, and to the highest quality standards.
- Foster a positive and productive work environment by promoting collaboration, open communication, and continuous learning and development opportunities for your team.
- You have a Master's and/or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science (or similar), focusing on machine learning.
- You have experience in leading a team of engineers and the people management tasks that come with such a role.
- You have a solid understanding of computer vision, especially the concepts of convolutional neural networks (CNNs), transformers, and diffusion models.
- Proficiency with the following technologies is required to be set up for success in this position: Deep learning frameworks (Pytorch gives bonus points, other frameworks like Tensorflow, Keras, Theano, Mxnet), Python 3, Numpy, OpenCV, Docker & Kubernetes.
- You are inspired by the rapidly evolving state-of-the-art in the visual AI space, and staying on top of it is one of your key motivations.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and are eager to find and develop novel solutions to challenging problems proactively.
- You are a strong communicator and a team player and are eager to work together with your colleagues to brainstorm ideas.
- Work in one of the fastest-growing visual AI startups in Austria, surrounded by like-minded people. Our visual AI products are industry-leading solutions that are easing the life of more than 25 million people globally every month.
- We are a part of the Canva family. Our collaboration with teams around the globe supercharges our work to empower the world to design. Canva’s success story is unique - and you benefit from it by participating in the company stock option program.
- Join an international team in Vienna (more than 70 people from 25 nationalities) and collaborate with lots of smart, like-minded people who love to ship quickly, and you get to know the space of visual AI. Watch this video to learn more about our engineering organization.
- You will have a flexible work schedule of 38.5h/week and a no-all-in contract. Work remotely, from our office located in Vienna's 3rd district, or mix-and-match. We can easily find an option that works best for you and Kaleido.
- We care about our employees, and we believe mental health should be a priority, just like taking care of our bodies and staying in shape. We provide mental health support through an online platform specialized in professional counseling.
- Your lunch and your commute with Wiener Linien are on us. You can also find unlimited snacks, coffee, and beverages in our office.
- You receive a yearly allowance for professional education & personal well-being as well as additional leave days for volunteering.
- We organize regular (international) events at the company & team levels to foster team bonding.
We are required by law to state the minimum salary for this position, which is EUR 70,000 gross per year. We pay competitive salaries - depending on your qualifications and experience - and you also get to participate in the company’s stock option program.
We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Join us and design your future.