Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
In this role, you'll be in a key position to make our ambitious goals in the AI-based photo editing space happen. By using innovative deep-learning techniques, you'll help deliver magical product visualizations and 3D tools to our users. Talking about users: With us, you work on a huge scale. Our global design community has crafted more than 15 billion designs in Canva, and your work will impact the lives of more than 135 Million monthly Canva users.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Working collaboratively as part of a team of machine learning engineers, frontend engineers, backend developers, designers, and quality assurance engineers to develop, implement, and improve Canva product visualizations (called Mockup) and 3D features with AI
- Taking ownership of the ML projects you are working on. We have many novel products in our pipeline that we can’t write about publicly right now. Drive the planning of the project and iterate on the AI features to achieve the best and most magical solution possible in order to foster innovation at Canva.
- Staying updated on machine learning trends is essential for your role. It ensures that the features we release in Canva empower users to design and edit photos using the latest technology and gives Canva an edge in a constantly evolving technological landscape.
- Setting up data augmentation pipelines and performing hyper-parameter searches to build production-ready AI solutions that meet the quality requirements of Canva.
- Implementing automated testing and suitable metrics to monitor the performance of our AI features in production.
You're probably a match if
- You have a Master's (ideally Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science (or similar), focusing on machine learning & published papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
- You have a solid understanding of computer vision, especially the concepts of convolutional neural networks (CNNs), transformers, generative adversarial networks, and diffusion models.
- Proficiency with the following technologies is required to be set up for success in this position: Deep learning frameworks (PyTorch gives bonus points, other frameworks like Tensorflow or JAX), Python 3, NumPy, OpenCV, Docker & Kubernetes.
- You have a solid understanding of modern software engineering principles, Python 3 classes and inheritance, multithreading, testing, and QA to write clean code.
- Our projects require picking up knowledge of the state-of-the-art of a specific ML topic quickly (Example 1,Example 2) since most projects start with a phase of literature research and communicating the context to the team (across timezones).
- You have a proven sense of ownership and are eager to find and develop novel solutions to challenging problems, such as developing ML models for processing large images (having up to 24 megapixels) in a memory-efficient and runtime-efficient manner proactively.
- You are an excellent communicator and teammate, keen to work with your colleagues and brainstorm ideas together.
The Smartmockups teams are working on making product visualizations (called mockups) simple and easy to use for anyone. Turning photos into reusable mockup templates has been always a manual process, but advancements in AI are changing the landscape dramatically you and your team will help us with that.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.