Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- As an individual contributor, you will design and implement services, tools, and interfaces to capture user consent and preferences.
- Work with other dedicated engineers across our organisation to deliver on our goals, which require exceptional alignment across multiple products and features.
- Collaborate across teams to ensure controls are in place and that Canva is and remains a privacy role model.
- Have a widespread impact across the organisation by facilitating and orchestrating initiatives to preserve the privacy of our users.
- Researching, developing, and justifying the best choices in the form of design documents for features that will shape the future of Canva.
- Propose innovative approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva’s privacy approach as rules and regulations tighten across the world.
- Participate in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews and mentor other individual contributor on the team.
You're probably a match if you have
- Five-plus (5+) years of commercial experience developing complex, distributed web applications on the JVM; experience writing Java (experience with other JVM languages is fine - however, we primarily use Java 17)
- Experience delivering core privacy engineering controls across a complex product SAAS organisation.
- Comfortable with computer science and engineering fundamentals: concurrency, data structures, and distributed systems
- Experience working in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS)
- Experience interacting and deploying the basic buildings blocks (or similar technologies) of our micro service architecture e.g. AWS ECS for compute, SQS and SNS for messaging and DynamoDB or RDS for persistence
- Disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests, and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach as opposed to a framework or library-focused; We strive to build fast and lean solutions; not library/framework-heavy patchwork
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. A Canva engineer strives to understand the exact problem before jumping into writing code - look before you leap!
- Experience with the tools of our data ecosystem are a huge plus e.g. Data Warehousing (Snowflake) or SQL knowledge, but not required;
- Literacy of privacy and compliance rules and regulations or general knowledge or curiosity about the space is also a huge plus, but not required.
About the team
Data Privacy's mission is to provide the tools and systems to ensure our users are informed about their choices and ensure those are collected and respected when our engineers build new products. The team is responsible for building a source of truth for user consent and working with our engineers and stakeholders to develop programmatic interfaces of consumption for other Canva services. The team will also focus on the enforcement of our data policies at the scale of Canva and will interface with data specialists across the business to ensure data is used according to the user's preferences.
The privacy of our 100M+ users and their freedom of choice is a top priority for Canva and we want to ensure the systems we build are respectful and compliant.
About the Role
This role sits within the Data Privacy team as a senior software engineer. This is part of a larger group of data-minded people focused on building data products. You will be responsible for crafting the vision of user privacy for Canva and building services and intuitive interfaces to help our engineers respect user choices when developing products and features.
Our mission is to establish Canva as a privacy-focused company and to provide our users with choice and transparency about their data.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.