Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but in Aotearoa, we have a hub in Auckland that we call home to our local operations. And with that, you have choice in how and where you work. That means if you want to do your thing at our Auckland hub (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
The Observability Team is responsible for all operational insights inside Canva. Our goal is to provide our development team with world-class tools to view how their services are performing in production. We achieve this by combining industry-leading third-party solutions with our own in-house developed solutions.
We work across the entire stack maintaining our metrics and logging Java libraries, our logging and metrics infrastructure, error and alert routing, and our incident management process to name just a few. As we scale all of these areas require more sophisticated solutions to ensure that Canva developers can continue to grow without compromising on reliability or availability.
What you'll do (Responsibilities)
- As a technical lead, you will guide the design and implementation of some of our major projects like scaling our Logging, Metrics and Tracing tooling.
- Help identify gaps in Observability tooling at Canva and help take it to the next level.
- Be proactive in modernising our Observability tooling and participate in brainstorming and POC’ing to determine how we can improve our existing systems
- Become an authority in the area of Observability and evangelise the benefits of accurate instrumentation throughout the organisation
- Help build new features into our Logging and Alerting pipelines to ensure that people are getting notifications for errors that are related to their domains
- Help develop solutions to tackle difficult problems such as how to deal with high-cardinality metrics which we can’t solve with our existing tooling
- Guide and mentor other people on the team and help them grow their skills and knowledge
Required skills & experience
- Comfortable and happy to code in Python, Java or Golang
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Computer Engineering fundamentals and first principles
- Experience building and running monitoring infrastructure at a large scale. For example, Terabyte-scale Elasticsearch clusters, Prometheus, Kibana, Grafana, etc
- Experience working with and monitoring microservice architectures in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS).
- Experience with Observability tooling – having proficiency with tools like Datadog, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Loggly, Sentry, or similar
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, we’re a Terraform shop, but strong experience with other IaC tools will do the trick
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- This role requires a lot of documentation and internal team members alignment; therefore strong written and verbal communication skills are required
Not essential; but helpful experience!
- Experience writing application code in Java since we also maintain the metrics, tracing and logging java libraries.
- Experience building and running monitoring infrastructure on a large scale. For example, Terabyte-scale Elasticsearch clusters, Prometheus, Kibana, Grafana, etc
- Experience with OpenTelemetry or writing code in Golang since we are adopting OpenTelemetry in a lot of the tooling we provide.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (including visa sponsorship)
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.