Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Our Vision is “Every user empowered, every voice heard”. User Voice is our critical interface to our most valuable partners, our users. We want to ensure that they have a flawless experience while using Canva products as we scale our way to support 1 billion users. User Voice is responsible for customer happiness and their ability to get help, as well as providing clear insights to improve user experiences.
About the job:
Our conversational understanding team seeks a tech lead AI engineer to build and evolve our intent recognition module.We ’re working on a chatbot platform to unify multiple tools and make the user journey truly magical when using Canva products. The platform is integrated in the editor and would be used by more than 100M users monthly. It currently offers:Timely and accurate in-app help and tipsClarify the tasks at hand and modify the design using text and/or voice based instructions that are natural to the usersShort-cuts to popular actionsThe project has a high visibility internally.
- Hypothesis-driven development of data and ML-driven features across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models and features, as well as using third party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Investigating and spiking applications of data and ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapidly shipping.
- Contributing to the full life cycle of ML/data models: data analysis, data preprocessing and pipeline, modelling, tuning and productization.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Designing and creating new data workflows and deploying these workflows to users.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- More than 5 years of Industry experience in the machine learning /software engineering role with a Product/SaaS company.
- Background in either Natural Language Processing (NLP), Large language models (LLM)
- Chatbot Development GPT-3 interest is a plus
- Experience building and deploying machine learning models. Strong understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python, interviews will be in Python.
- Familiarity with several of the following: TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Kubernetes, Docker, Solr/ElasticSearch
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- SQL experience preferred.
- Strong research skills: the ability to dig through deep learning literature and translate this into product and value for users.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.