Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hiya, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but we have a swanky new office in London that has all the bells and whistles. Even though you'll find us in Shoreditch, you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
When you join our team in the UK, you'll also be joining forces with Flourish, who were acquired by us in 2022. Flourish enables everyone to change the way they tell stories with data by creating rich, animated data visualizations and other interactive content that can be embedded anywhere - including in Canva!
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Canva’s European operations are going from strength to strength and as such we are seeking a new Commercial Contract Counsel to join our London team to support the region. Through your strong understanding of technology contracts and experience managing and negotiating a high volume of commercial transactions, you will help Canva continue its growth and success. In this role you will play a key role in partnering with Canva’s core operations, along with our subsidiaries, focusing on commercial contracting in support of our Sales, Procurement, and Partnerships teams.
You will join a dynamic global Legal team, working on a variety of innovative legal issues. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgment, and strong business sense to assess and mitigate legal risk, while finalising contracts at a fast pace.
What you'll do
- Review, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements with vendors, customers, and partners.
- Respond promptly to legal questions and requests from various stakeholders in the business.
- Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations, including data privacy laws.
- Suggest and help implement improvements to existing processes and enablement resources.
- Play an important role in helping the legal team maintain its playbooks, templates, and other know-how.
We'd love it if you have
- Qualified to practice Law in England or another European jurisdiction
- Hands-on experience reviewing and negotiating a variety of contracts at a fast-paced technology company, or legal practice
- The ability to roll up your sleeves, learn the business and proactively identify and analyse opportunities and risks.
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable participating in cross-functional and internationally distributed teams.
- Experience using contracting tools (e.g. Ironclad and DocuSign)
- A collaborative, collegial and solutions-driven attitude
- The ability to confidently converse with customers and vendors over the phone
- Proven examples of prioritising work and effectively setting and balancing expectations
Given this role will cover multiple Jurisdictions across Europe, fluency in another European Language, on top of English, would be beneficial.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.