Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia, but with many of our Canvanauts calling the Philippines home, our office in Manila is a buzzing place. Whether your role needs you in the office, at home or a bit of both, we've created an environment that truly empowers you to thrive.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About Visual Content
About Visual Content
Canva’s in-house Visual Content team is on a mission to empower our users around the world by providing them with world-class, inspirational Templates and Elements that help them achieve their creative goals.
We work from concept to creation on high quality, globally relevant, trend-setting creative across Canva’s product ecosystem (Presentations, Docs, Whiteboards, Social Media, Websites, Print, to name but a few!), Brand Partnerships, Seasonal and Cultural Campaigns, Education, and Diversity Initiatives.
Visual Content is responsible for setting the overall Creative Strategy and Direction for the content that sits within Canva’s library, entrusted with holding our content and its creators to the highest of standards. Our job is to ensure that our library provides end-to-end content solutions that enable our users, whether they be Professionals, Educators, or first-time Designers, with the tools they need to create beautiful designs.
Our team partners with many stakeholders across the Canva organization, including Product, Marketing, and Search & Recommendations to devise, design, and deliver creative content that showcases the very best of Canva’s products and services.
About the Role
Sitting within the Visual Content group, the Senior Creative for our Motion Elements Team provides creative vision, direction, and brief ideas for the Strategic Pillar you’ll be assigned to work on. You will work closely with the Motion Creative Lead to ensure that all the motion briefs we’ll be developing and collections we’ll be producing are of top quality and make sure that all the craft specialists are supported.
You’ll be championing our craft on a team-wide level and responsible for educating our Strategic Leads about our processes and Product Team Leads on all the feasible and innovative ways of utilizing our elements in their products.
You are required to work with both Canva and Lottie engineers to develop new ways of integrating Lottie into our library and streamlining our processes to go with it. Lottie knowledge is an integral part of your role, as you’ll be constantly encountering backend and frontend issues during pre-prod and production phases and continuously troubleshooting and providing craft-based solutions and insight to our craft specialists.
We move fast here at Canva, and this role will certainly keep you on your toes. We are looking for someone who loves to get stuff done. You’re who we want to work with if you can balance your brilliant creative streak with ruthless prioritization that moves projects rapidly along.
We believe in attracting and nurturing world-class talent with a focus on diversity, community, career development – and doing the best work of our lives.
What you’ll do...
- Build a deeply collaborative working relationship between the Strategic Creative Leads, in addition to your Motion Lead, Product Leads, Motion Craft Specialists, and other Senior Creatives within Visual Content, ensuring that you and your team are tightly aligned with Group priorities and craft excellence.
- Build a collaborative working relationship between Canva Product Engineers and Lottie Engineers/Representatives to advocate for your team’s needs and drive innovation in our library content.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of Visual Standards and Technical requirements for library content in partnership with our Strategic Creative Leads.
- Responsible as the initial LGTM approver of motion briefs, before it goes out to the Motion Lead and Strategic Creative Leads
- Develop new ways of working with Product Creative Leads to maximize our collections’ usability and encourage innovation
- Provide support to the Motion Lead in upskilling our Motion Craft Specialists and streamlining our workflow to maximize the team’s effectiveness.
- Conduct motion briefs post-mortems and document all the insights and learnings for future usage.
- Forerunner of new design/motion trends and all relevant tech discoveries.
- Represent Motion team in Show and Tells to share wins, best practices and product insights, and proactively share knowledge and insights on design and motion area via ‘Brown Bags’ and other accessible documentation
- Continuously develop your understanding of motion both from a creative and a Canva user standpoint.
- Identify areas for skills growth and career development across your teammates.
You're probably a match if..
- An expert on motion design culture and trends for key consumer content and user groups, and ensure that Canva content remains user-friendly, current, relevant and authentic and inspirational across Canva’s ecosystem.
- Have previous experience/s leading a creative team of motion designers in a fast paced Digital Media environment.
- Have a general understanding of the different content needs across our products and user groups, and leverage that knowledge to deliver motion collections relevant to those users to achieve their tasks efficiently and at high quality.
- Comfortable communicating and engaging with Canva leadership, and organizational stakeholders, whenever needed.
- A keen eye for what makes great design, sense of rhythm, and how creative an motion trends and aesthetics can be adapted or changed to resonate with a global audience.
- An ability to translate user trends, data, and research to become potential motion brief ideas
- A creative who is always proactive and thirsty for new ideas and innovation
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, while encouraging and mentoring teammates to be more efficient.
Competencies for success
- We shortlist by reviewing not just your CV but more importantly, your portfolio. Quality over quantity matters more to us – so bring out your best design works!
- You work well under pressure. You can work with tight requirements and work around tight deadlines
- While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!
Hear more about our culture, the work we do in the Design specialty, straight from our Manila Designers!
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.