Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Infrastructure is a huge investment at Canva, consisting of Cloud Platforms, Developer Platforms, and Reliability Platforms that are used by all Canva engineers, and therefore crucial to the scaling of the organisation. As such, we’re looking to gain a better, data-driven understanding of how our users interact with our products.
In this role, you would be a hands-on lead of a team of Analytics Engineers and Data Analysts. This team would create, maintain and operate data platforms that deliver data sets, from which we derive insights to ultimately improve the Infrastructure product offerings, thereby improving the efficiency and experience of all Canva engineers!
Your team will work in collaboration with multiple teams and stakeholders to support their decision making process. This includes:
- Working alongside the teams and Product Managers to identify the product needs
- Ensuring the right data is being collected and stored
- Modeling the data appropriately
- Identifying and reporting back about patterns and trends
- Building and maintaining dashboards for Infra teams
- Helping improve data literacy within the Infra Supergroup
This is a very exciting opportunity because it’s a new team and the first of its kind. There is a huge opportunity to shape how data is collected and used in Infrastructure, and have a very broad impact!
- Coach a team of data specialists, composed of Data Analysts and Analytics Engineers. This role will act as a driver of data strategy in this supergroup and will coordinate closely with the Product leads.
- It will require close coordination with several stakeholders and a real sense of drive and initiative to keep things moving. Nobody tells you what to do; you identify the opportunities where your team can make the largest impact and you see it through.
- Although you are a technical guru, you also have people skills and know how to coordinate a team, align with stakeholders, and organise a data strategy in your particular area.
- Find insights that help us understand both our Infrastructure products and our users (Canva engineers) - we want you to be creative and insightful, rather than just throwing the usual metrics at the wall to see what sticks.
- Suggest improvements that will actually move our metrics - when we release changes, we want to actually see the bump in the relevant graph
- Maintain, operate, and tune data infrastructure (Fivetran, Snowflake, Redshift, dbt, Looker, Mode Analytics, Census) at scale.
- Own projects, data models, dashboards, and other artefacts and keep them up-to-date and high quality in a hyper-growth environment.
- Design and build out analytic data models that support answering questions from our Infrastructure teams and company leaders.
- Help us extend data literacy and curiosity throughout the Infrastructure supergroup
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience leading data analysts and/or cross functional teams.
- At least 2 years of recent experience building and managing large data platform environments in the cloud, AWS preferred.
- Strong competency with SQL; experience with data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery is a plus!
- Experience wrangling and analysing data using Python or R.
- Experience with optimising products for user efficiency and experience, and building dashboards that effectively communicate results and outcomes
- Experience developing dashboards and reporting systems.
- Familiarity with a wide set of data warehousing principles, including architecture, methodologies, schemas, performance/optimization principles, and best practices.
- A grounding in mathematics / statistics and a bachelor's degree in a STEM area is preferred; but not required.
- Experience with very large data sets is a huge plus, but not required.
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written - be able to break down complex topics into simple solutions and ideas. Stakeholder management skills are vital in this role.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a garden, climbing wall, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
If you're a passionate data analyst seeking a truly challenging opportunity with one of the world's premier technology companies, then apply now to start the discussion with us!
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.