Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Editing AI is essential in fulfilling Canva's mission to 'empower the world to design' by using AI to automate design decisions for our users, irrespective of their design skill level. By making the editor 'smarter' through AI, you will have a huge impact in driving user growth and retention by taking our product to the next level.
We are exploring new territory. Outside the domain of pixels, Design AI is severely under-developed across the entire tech industry. Whilst conventional modern ML techniques clearly play a role in Design AI, much of it does not easily apply to working with structured design data or operating within the constraints of a browser-based editor. It’s necessary to combine modern ML with low-mid tech algorithms, design domain knowledge, heuristics, and crafty new inventions.
As our new Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will collaborate with a product engineering team in adopting new expertise and inventing new technologies.
Our recent projects
We have built technology that powers some of Canva's newest Magical features such as Docs to Decks, Magic Presentations, Magic Design, and Magic Layouts.
Content transfer platform: We developed algorithms and systems to match user content to templates it can be inserted into, including developing representations, indexing and lookup for different use cases, and models to optimise for user preference.
Design quality and element function labelling: We designed labelling schemas to represent aesthetic concepts, including the function of media in a design, and the usability of templates for specific applications. We then strategically developed classifiers using a mixture of methods.
Font recommendation: We designed a model for recommending fonts to the user given the current fonts in their design and other contextual features.
What you will do
- Design, develop and deploy solutions to challenging Design AI problems – working closely with other MLE's, backend engineers, frontend engineers, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our users
- Hypothesis-driven development of data and ML-driven features across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models and features, as well as using third party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Investigating and spiking applications of data and ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapidly shipping.
- Contributing to the full life cycle of ML/data models: data analysis, data preprocessing and pipeline, modelling, tuning and productization.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Designing and creating new data workflows and deploying these workflows to users.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
What you bring
- Experience or strong interest in design. This team works at the intersection of engineering and design so a genuine desire or proven experience in this space is essential
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python, interviews will be in Python.
- Familiarity with several of the following: TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Kubernetes, Solr/ElasticSearch, dataset creation
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- SQL experience preferred.
- Strong research skills: the ability to dig through machine learning literature and translate this into product and value for users.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.