Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
What will the role be doing?
- This role is about engineering solutions, conducting experiments, and localized features that aim to grow revenue and active users in the China market. This role will also be facilitating the communication effort between Beijing and Sydney in the frontend specialty, and collaborating with frontend engineers in China to promote the best engineering practices.
Why is the role needed?
- China is a highly localized market where user experiences can be very different from the rest of the world. Our missions in the China Experience & Ecosystem Teams are to empower our users in China to see the true value of the Canva products.
- To achieve that we need more frontend engineers to work on localized experiences like promotion campaigns, upsell and post-publish flow, sharing and collaboration features, cross-platform guidance, authenticating process, SEO landing pages, WeChat mini-app tools, etc.
What is exciting about this role?
- We solve mission-critical engineering problems, supporting the revenue and MAU growth of Canva China. There’s a whole different market and web ecosystem with great growth potentials in China
- China is targeted to be the second-largest market share in our 2026 company vision and we’re working on bold strategies to enable China to grow faster in 2023/2024.
- You’ll be collaborating with engineers and different stakeholders around the globe, exposed to new patterns and different styles of solving problems across our codebase.
- You have an opportunity to use the latest tech-stacks and work on a very deep and complex enterprise-level frontend project.
Key skills or experience?
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Familiar with key web programming languages and frameworks
- Strong communication skills to work cross-functionally across several teams, to work with a diverse range of code owners
- Ready to jump and contribute to an unfamiliar territory where challenges are not well defined
- Experience in backend/full-stack development (Java, Node.js, etc.)
- Experience in WeChat mini-app developmentGood understanding of building systems (e.g. compilers, transpilers and dependency managers), including Bazel, NPM/Yarn and Webpack
- Good understanding of testing at scale (the role of unit, integration, visual, end of end in large systems)
- Familiarity with React and its most common design pattern
- Familiarity with Typescript and MobX
- Familiarity with HTTP/SSL, edge and proxy systems (e.g. Cloudflare and Nginx)
- Familiarity with some our of infrastructure/tooling: AWS, Nix, Terraform, Buildkite, Docker and Github
- Familiarity with logging and monitoring tools (Datadog, Kibana and Sentry)
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Competitive salary, plus equity options where you will enjoy the rapid growth of Canva and have impact every day.
• Flexible working hours that cater to how you best work. We value work-life balance and you decided what works best for you.
• Healthy and delicious breakfast, lunch, fruit, drinks and snacks options. You can enjoy the TGIF special drinks and live cooking.
• Unique and flexible leave that goes beyond just standard annual leave including flexible leave, carer’s leave, Force for Good leave, education leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own development.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development. It could be anything, from a fitness center membership to personal development training, or dinner out with a teammate. Because you know what you need, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including; Canva University, Fitness Classes (Yoga & Meditation) Employee Assistant Programs, social clubs and team events that are sponsored by the company.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process. / 我们会根据你的经验、技能和对于职位的热情来做出雇佣决定。当你进行申请时，请告诉我们你希望我们对你使用的称谓，以及在面试过程中你可能需要的任何合理调整。