Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Team
The video editor team is pushing the boundaries of online video editing by utilizing cutting-edge technology and discovering the limits of what’s possible in browsers. We’re working to bring both the latest and greatest video editing features, as well as the table stakes features, into the browser and make them accessible to millions of people for free!
Our rapidly expanding and highly engaged user base comprises one of the world's largest audiences of content creators. The Video Editor team is not just responsible for video content creation, but also helping users bring all their content types to life with audio and video content, from docs to websites and even whiteboards.
About the Role
In this role you’ll be helping build and improve our suite audio and video editing tools for all content types at Canva (eg social media, presentations, whiteboards, websites etc). Video editing is essential in fulfilling Canva’s mission to 'empower the world to design' by making video editing accessible to everyone.
You’ll be responsible for writing and stewarding high quality, performant frontend code, as well as growing the video frontend so it can continue to be highly modular, extensible, testable and a joy to work in. We often work across many domains and different products so there is plenty of opportunity to collaborate across different teams and specialties.
- Work with product designers and product managers to build improved functionality into Canva’s video and audio editing features.
- Research cutting edge technology to improve existing features and bring new features to our users.
- Empowering other engineers through mentoring, code review, pair programming and technical leadership.
- Build efficient and reusable front end abstractions and systems.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks.
- Participate in engineering design and code reviews.
- Help to identify and communicate best practices and methodologies for frontend engineering and video technology.
What we are looking for
- Excellent computer science fundamentals.
- Someone who has (or wants to build) a deep understanding of key browser concepts like the event loop, bubbling/capturing and rendering pipeline.
- Excited by solving hard problems, video editing in the browser is hard and requires going deep on technical problems to find solutions.
- Someone to jump into product development to continually ship value to users.
- Excellent communication to build relationships with a diverse group of people to be able to drive impact across the company.
- Strong technical leadership to help take projects and problems from chaos to clarity.
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Experience and knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Deep understanding of key browser concepts like the event loop, bubbling/capturing and rendering pipeline.
- Understanding of the browser event model (bubbling, capturing)
- Ability to write performant, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Experience with HTML Video
- Experience the video technology in general
- Experience with Web Audio API’s
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with TypeScript (or other typed languages)
- Experience with React
- Experience with MobX
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.