Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
The role of the Content Review sub-group is to keep Canva’s public content library safe, high quality, relevant and diverse. The review engineering team builds the tools to support the manual review process but also the flows and processes to support automated review by enabling training data pipelines and building a Human in the Loop process.
The Engineering Manager will be coaching a team of 4-5 backend & frontend engineers, managing the team priorities, overseeing goal delivery and collaborating with other team leads.
While coding will not be the main focus of this role, it is still a hands-on role that will require some coding.
What you'll do
- Lead and coach a motivated full stack team of 4-8 engineers
- Be responsible for break-down and delivery of large projects
- Mentor members of the team on technical approaches
- Be accountable for the operation of services (including on-call support as part of the team roster, 1 week out of every 4-6 week)
- Work with senior members of the team to guide the technical vision
- Support coachee growth via feedback, reviews
- Take responsibility for the code that the team ships
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers
- Foster a impactful and healthy team via a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and process improvements
- Promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication while advocating for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
What we are looking for
- Experience leading a team of software engineers building high-performing and collaborative teams.
- Experience owning and operating services with a healthy balance of delivery leadership, people leadership, and technical skills.
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of our customers.
- Ability to lead by example; promote Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Product Managers, Designers, and other business functions outside of engineering.
- The requirement, although not he main part of the role, is still to be hands on in our backend tech stack - Java.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.