Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship office is in Sydney, Australia, but we've made our way from down under, to hubs in Austin and San Francisco, which are now home to our US operations. So whether you're in Texas or California, you have choice in where and how you work in each of those states. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the role
As Canva continues to rapidly grow and expand globally, the payroll function faces increased complexity in managing regulatory compliance, vendor management, international expansion, systems integration, and technology necessary to support our global payroll operations. In this role, you will take charge of shaping the vision and strategy of the payroll function while leading a motivated team across Australia and the Philippines.
We are looking for a strategic payroll expert to lead our payroll team - someone who seeks to redefine rather than follow the crowd. You are excited by the prospect of driving the evolution of the payroll function unconstrained, looking to elevate capabilities across people, processes, and systems.
As the Head of Global Payroll, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the company's payroll function, including payroll operations, accounting, compliance, and international expansion.
Your expertise and leadership will play a pivotal role in evolving Canva's capabilities in this space, while ensuring that the payroll function's roadmap is aligned with the company's overall strategic objectives and supports its growth plans.
What you'll do
- Develop and execute the payroll function's vision, strategy, and mission, aligned with the company's strategic objectives.
- Lead and mentor a team of payroll professionals, fostering a collaborative and high-performing culture while championing a continuous improvement mindset.
- Oversee payroll operations, ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Identify and mitigate potential payroll-related risks and implement controls to prevent errors, fraud, or compliance violations.
- Build and nurture strong relationships with payroll service providers.
- Evaluate, select, implement, and maintain payroll software and systems to streamline processes and improve efficiency.
- Establish and standardize global payroll policies, processes, and procedures while accommodating regional variations and legal requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant payroll regulations, including considering Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and other legal requirements applicable to the payroll function in each country of operation.
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of payroll data, adhering to data privacy regulations and safeguarding sensitive employee information.
- Collaborate with the Finance, People and Legal teams to support the company's global expansion efforts by providing payroll expertise and coordinating payroll setup in new regions.
- Provide regular payroll-related reports, metrics, and insights to senior management, supporting decision-making and strategic planning.
What we're looking for
- Demonstrated success in leading the payroll function through rapid growth and global expansion, with a proven ability to develop and execute effective strategies.
- Strong leadership and team management skills with a proven track record of building high-performing teams.
- Expertise in managing payroll operations in multiple countries, including a solid understanding of international payroll regulations, tax laws, and compliance requirements in different regions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of payroll software and systems, as well as the ability to evaluate, implement, or upgrade payroll technology as needed.
- Extensive experience in establishing and standardizing policies, processes, procedures and controls.
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills, showcasing demonstrated commercial judgment and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Familiarity with international payroll regulations and compliance requirements, including Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and other relevant industry standards.
- Previous involvement in expanding payroll operations into new countries or regions, understanding the challenges and strategies for successful implementation.
- Knowledge of data privacy regulations and the ability to maintain strict data protection protocols to safeguard sensitive employee information.
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with internal teams, external partners, and senior management.
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together a diversity of thoughts, perspectives, and expression is key to building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
At Canva we value fairness, and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation whilst ensuring internal equity within the team in each region. We make hiring decisions based on your skills, experience, and our overall assessment of what we observed and learned in the hiring process. The target salary range for this position is $200,000 to $305,000. When calculating offers, we make salary decisions based on market data and candidates' skills and experience.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.