Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but in Aotearoa, we have a hub in Auckland that we call home to our local operations. And with that, you have choice in how and where you work. That means if you want to do your thing at our Auckland hub (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment this role is focused on:
- Leading team of engineers, investing in their growth and development through effective coaching and mentoring
- Drive the planning and refinement of team projects, ensuring there is alignment across the company, group, and teams.
- Provide technical leadership through code and design document reviews in addition to hands-on code contribution
- Collaborate with engineers and PMs across the business to understand how best to support them
- Define and continuously optimise team processes and development methodology
- Build and maintain positive and productive team culture. Ensure that our engineering values are upheld, fostering an open, pragmatic and supportive culture that encourages collaboration.
You're probably a match if you have:
- Experience in technical and people leadership, making sound decisions and delivering outcomes on technical projects
- Successful commercial experience developing distributed web applications in Java. Ideally, expertise in API gateway services (e.g. Zuul, Kong) and network application frameworks (e.g. Netty).
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Proven communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
About the Group
The Application Platform Group consists of teams building critical platforms that power the core Canva experiences. We build and maintain powerful platform capabilities that allow our teams to rapidly build experiences that meaningfully engage with our millions of users in the language and location of their choice while respecting and maintaining their privacy at every step. Our Vision is for every Canvanaut to have everything they need to ship product experiences easily and safely.
Within this group sits the Gateway team, which is responsible for the front line of our microservices. Gateway’s work is based on three cornerstones: reliability, security and scalability. We want to ensure that every request that hits Canva goes through the Gateway components at world-class speeds and that the developers who work on the platform are efficient and productive.
About the Role
As the Engineering Manager of the Gateway team, you will provide a successful balance of people, technical and delivery leadership. You will ensure that the team has a high-impact technical roadmap and delivers on its goals efficiently while fostering a safe and inclusive environment for people to experiment, learn and grow. Your work will be vital in keeping the Canva product highly available, secure and performant, and providing paved roads for engineers in other teams to rapidly build product features on top of our platform.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.