Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time-consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship office is in Sydney, Australia, but we've made our way from down under, to hubs in Austin and San Francisco, which are now home to our US operations. So whether you're in Texas or California, you have a choice in where and how you work in each of those states. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home, or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavor of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced corporate lawyer to join us as Head of Corporate Legal and to lead our highly motivated and collaborative global Corporate Legal team. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, this role will coach the Corporate Legal team and help support a broad array of corporate, governance, and transactional legal matters.
If you’re an experienced corporate lawyer who has the ability to lead teams, help team members learn and grow, deal with issues outside your experience, and learn quickly in a fast-paced and often unstructured environment, this is your opportunity!
What you'll do
- Provide expert legal advice in all areas of corporate law, global securities laws, and corporate governance, including the Securities Act of 1933; the Securities Exchange Act of 1934; securities exchange listing rules; the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002; and the Delaware General Corporation Law.
- Help manage acquisition, investment, and capital market transactions.
- Coach and build a global Corporate Legal team.
- Support Canva’s current subsidiaries and global expansion efforts, including advising on board matters, regulatory and local law requirements, and inter-company agreements.
- Assist with company capitalisation matters, including oversight of Company employee equity incentive plans.
- Provide pragmatic and risk-aware legal and business advice to internal stakeholders on a broad array of corporate and transactional matters.
- Establish appropriate policies, processes, and systems to help enable the company to effectively scale.
- Foster and cultivate relationships with internal stakeholders and work together to achieve cross-functional goals.
- Work across the company to identify and analyze legal risks, and provide creative solutions for effective risk management.
- Keep current on applicable securities laws, corporate governance developments, market trends, and best practices to ensure continued compliance and to identify emerging trends and risks.
- Set the strategic vision, priorities, and goals for the Corporate Legal team, in line with Company-wide business objectives.
- Roll your sleeves up and help with other legal matters in order to support the growth of the business.
What we're looking for
- You demonstrate a depth of relevant legal experience, including top-tier law firm training and experience working in-house at a high-growth technology company. Additional experience supporting US public technology companies is strongly preferred.
- You are an expert in general corporate matters, securities laws, corporate governance, joint ventures, venture financings, cross-border M&A transactions, and capital markets transactions.
- You have a Juris Doctor or equivalent qualification and are admitted to practice in the United States.
- You have experience working with global SaaS companies with multinational subsidiaries.
- You have successfully built and coached teams.
- You have proven ability to earn trust and establish credibility with the senior leadership team, CEO, and board of directors, while also comfortably interacting with diverse groups of people.
- You are not afraid to get your hands dirty – no task is too big or too small.
- You are resourceful and possess strong organizational skills and you have experience working directly with stakeholders inside and outside the legal function.
- You are goals-driven and have experience setting and achieving team-wide goals.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- You can work well in a team but are capable of working autonomously.
- You exercise good judgment under intense pressure.
- You are risk-aware, not risk-averse.
- You have a keen eye for detail.
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together a diversity of thoughts, perspectives, and expression is key to building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
At Canva we value fairness, and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation whilst ensuring internal equity within the team in each region. We make hiring decisions based on your skills, experience, and our overall assessment of what we observed and learned in the hiring process. The salary range for this position is $271,000 to $412,000. When calculating offers, we make salary decisions based on market data and candidates' skills and experience.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.