Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
This Team Lead role will craft the vision and strategy for the Design Education team, setting the foundations for our educators to do their best work. The Design Education Team Lead will coach and mentor squad leads within the team, guiding them in setting content strategies for their audience’s needs and fostering their growth and development. The ideal candidate will have a background in the strategy, planning and execution of educational content, along with strong leadership experience.
As the Design Education Team Lead at Canva, you will be at the forefront of empowering our diverse user base by leading a team of educators. Your role is instrumental in shaping the educational landscape for Canva's users, ranging from free individual users to B2B customers, educational institutions (K12 and Higher Ed), and nonprofits. You will set the vision and strategy for the team, coach and mentor team members, and oversee the creation of educational content. Your leadership and strategic thinking will be key in enabling our users to achieve their goals through Canva. If you are an ambitious and empathetic leader with a passion for education and design, we invite you to join our dynamic team.
This role is a fixed term contract of up to 12 months until September 2024
What You'll Do:
- Team Leadership: Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of educators, fostering a collaborative and innovative team culture. Provide guidance and coaching to team members, ensuring their professional growth and development.
- Vision and Strategy: Set the vision and strategic direction for the Design Education team. Develop and implement comprehensive educational strategies that cater to the diverse needs of Canva's user base, and how this translates into content across different marketing touchpoints. Oversee the improvements to our Design School content platform.
- Educational Content Creation: Oversee the creation of educational content across various marketing touchpoints, including tutorials, courses, webinars, workshops, lifecycle emails, landing pages and sales enablement materials. Ensure content is engaging, informative, and aligned with Canva’s brand and design principles.
- User Empowerment: Empower users to unlock their creative potential by providing valuable educational resources. Ensure our content addresses the needs of different user segments, from beginners to advanced users, in various industries and sectors.
- Collaboration: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including marketing, product, and customer support, to ensure educational content aligns with product updates and marketing initiatives.
- Process Optimisation: Constantly be looking to improve the way we work to ensure we are being as efficient and effective as possible, including updating ways of working, creating new templates and simplifying documentation
- Performance Analysis: Utilize data analytics to measure the impact and effectiveness of educational content. Provide insights and recommendations to optimize content strategies and enhance user engagement.
What we're looking for:
- Leadership Skills: Proven experience in leading and inspiring teams of 10+ people, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement. Demonstrated ability to mentor and coach team members effectively including performance management.
- Strategic Thinker: Strong strategic mindset with the ability to develop and implement comprehensive educational strategies that align with Canva’s business goals and user needs, with consideration of the balance of effort vs impact. Ability to make smart decisions related to team shape and growth.
- Educational Content Strategy: Background in education, instructional design, learning development or a related field is highly desirable. Understanding of pedagogical principles and instructional methodologies is a plus.
- Marketing Experience: Understanding of the marketing landscape and how educational content can be brought to life across marketing channels to achieve our growth goals
- Content Creation: Familiarity with content strategy, content writing, and planning learning and marketing content. Experience in creating educational content for diverse audiences and mediums.
- Design Knowledge: Understanding of design principles and confidence in using design tools, particularly Canva, is advantageous.
- Operational Expertise: Demonstrated strong operational skills in reviewing and refining processes, ensuring teams are working effectively
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to convey complex educational concepts in a clear and engaging manner, as well as effectively present to senior internal stakeholders
About the Design Education Team
Our mission in the Design Education team is to engage and delight our community with impactful content that empowers them to create. Across all of our audiences, including free and Pro users, B2B customers, educational institutions (K12 and Higher Ed) and non profits, we seek to show the ease and value of Canva and how it can help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
The Design Education team creates educational content on Canva’s products and features that empowers our users to design and create in Canva. This content lives on our content platform Design School, as well as through various marketing touchpoints including lifecycle emails, landing pages and sales enablement materials.
Our team has a wide range of all-round skills. They’re designers, teachers, writers, facilitators, creators and doers. They facilitate in-person and in-product learning and continuously grow their skills and our courses along with our product and content library.
The Design Education team sits in our Marketing supergroup and our team’s roadmap ladders up to Marketing goals to drive MAU growth, user retention and ARR.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.