Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
About the team:
The Hospitality Experience team’s mission is to ‘create a world famous food program & hospitality experience that reflects Canva's values and reinforces a sense of belonging for our community’.
We do this through our food program called The Communal Table, a foundational pillar on which our culture was built on and we are continuously growing through concepts and a philosophy through bringing people together with food and drink . As we grow, we have to keep evolving the way we cook and serve food, our drinks offerings, our menu creations and the way we think about food culturally.
Right now we have four fully operational programs globally — Sydney caters for 1000 people, Manila 500, Austin 100+ and Melbourne 100+. Each location has a fully commercial kitchen and kitchen team each at different stages of growth all with year on year growth projections. Each team has a highly skilled Head Chef to run the operation and facilitate growth and change as well as hire and manage a team.
The philosophy behind the Communal Table of bringing people together through food on a daily basis and creating a family meal style environment is key to the experience for lunch but not the only part of it . The style of cooking and menu creation is very similar to that of a restaurant where we try to be creative, change the menu everyday, practice inclusive cooking (dietaries), source locally and organic.
Breakfast consists of freshly baked pastries that change daily, a continental breakfast and pantry as well as made to order crepe station and omelette stations twice a week. Lunch menu changes daily and does not repeat for minimum of 2 months. We aim to visit 150 country cuisines and balance the menu across the week. We serve lunch for the team and it requires a highly skilled chef to organise, prepare, cook and serve on a daily basis. In the evening we facilitate events of all kinds including cooking classes in person and online like pasta, pizza, cheese making, churros and dumplings. We also offer an internal formal dining experience, partner with local communities and run/host external events! These consist of a four course meal, matching wines and table service which requires a full time and very highly experienced chef as the menu changes each time.
About the role:
This role at Canva is very unique. We give you the freedom to express yourself through your skills as a chef, empower you to be creative and create an environment for your growth and development. The company is driven by core values and the kitchen is too, by thinking sustainably when sourcing food, dealing with our waste in the best possible way, supporting the community through volunteering our skills, teaching the Canva community all types of cuisines and culture through food by changing menus everyday. We are always flexible and willing to change if it's for the betterment of the team and/or the experience we provide.
What you'll do:
- Lead and direct food preparation processes daily
- Creation of menu items, recipes and developing dishes ensuring variety, inclusivity, high quality, freshness and nutrition
- Responsible for food inventory needs, stocking, ordering and rotation
- Vendor management
- Management of kitchen budgets and financial spend across all Communal Table offerings
- Hiring, coaching and leading the HospoX team
- Ensure global alignment by working with other Head Chefs in regional campuses
- Responsible for all health and safety regulations by following all food safety and hygiene practices
- Manage kitchen waste streams
- Responsible for all equipment and managing kitchen maintenance
- Contributing to scaling the operation by documenting all recipes and quantities in sheets and docs
- Supporting the wider team with events and other projects that may come up
- Contribute to our mission by creating the best food program in the world
- Drive the team toward success and continue achieving its goal
Skill requirements for the role :
- Proven experience as a Head Chef in a commercial kitchen setting
- Culinary degree or equivalent professional experience
- Expert knowledge of many different cuisines, using highly skilled preparation and cooking techniques
- Deep understanding of all dietary requirements, creative in all aspects of menu planning and open minded and adaptable to constant change.
- Strong organisational and leaderships skills with the ability to train junior staff and maintain high levels of attention to detail, punctuality and communication by showing an approachable attitude of continued betterment.
- Strong vendor management
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and adapt to constant change and embrace new ideas and processes as Canva scales.
- Experience with G-Suite, Zoom, Slack and other relevant skills using a mac preferable, but not essential.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
-Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
-An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
-Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.