Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
About the team
We're building a new product offering in Canva's visual worksuite. This will support a whole new range of jobs-to-be-done, being a part of building new products and level up many existing features. This is a big bet that will deliver major growth for Canva, and reframe our place in the market. We're diving deep to solve difficult technical problems and make complex tasks simple for our users.
The Machine Learning Engineering specialty is engaged in delivering value to Canva’s users, by designing, building and maintaining complex production systems to apply statistics and machine learning at scale. We're building a highly personalised Canva; developing and productionising user modelling that directly drives product features and targeting messaging and marketing; making it easy for users to discover over 100M+ templates, photos, videos and elements; applying ML to label and transform a vast number and variety of images; and leveraging our unique design data to empower users to design.
We're looking to grow the team to continue to scale the impact of machine learning across Canva. You'll be joining a fast-moving cross-functional team, rapidly building and shipping machine learning-driven features to users and staff.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Hypothesis-driven development of data and ML-driven features across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models and features, as well as using third-party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Investigating and spiking applications of data and ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapid shipping.
- Contributing to the full life cycle of ML/data models: data analysis, data preprocessing and pipeline, modelling, tuning and productization.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Designing and creating new data workflows and deploying these workflows to users.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
You're probably a match if:
- You have experience building and deploying machine learning models. Strong understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- You have experience working with a multi-skilled team to deliver a great experience to users .
- You have strong coding proficiency in Python , interviews will be in Python.
- You are familiar with several of the following: TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Kubernetes, Docker, Solr/ElasticSearch.
- You have a strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- SQL experience preferred.
- You have strong research skills with the ability to dig through deep learning literature and translate this into products and value for users.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering / Science or Mathematics.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.