Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Leading and coaching a motivated team of 4 engineers
- leadin the break-down and delivery of large projects
- Operate service(s) with excellence (including being on call)
- Work with senior members of the group to guide the technical vision
- Support team growth via feedback and reviews
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development– working closely with leads, designers, and product managers
- Foster an impactful team via an effective code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and process improvements
- Promote a safe and productive team culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- Advocate for engineering needs to non-technical partners within the group
You're probably a match if you have:
- Experience or genuine interest in supporting internal users and internal tools
- experience/knowledge in security and scaling systems
- experience in working with diverse stakeholders (both technical and non technicals)
- Validated experience in technical people leadership, making sound decisions and delivering outcomes on technical projects
- Success in leading cross-disciplinary teams (frontend and backend), from mid to senior levels
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Exceptional communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
It would be great if you had (though not essential!):
- Experience with authentication systems and/or user management would be highly desirable
- Commercial experience in Java
About the Group
As Canva continues to grow and scale to 1 billion users, the Global User Voice Enablement team ensure that our customer service operations will be successful in their roles. We need to ensure that they have the right resources and job aides which are continuously and constantly being updated, especially whenever there are process updates, product releases and the like.
About the Role
As the Engineering Manager, you will be leading the team who builds the systems and tools daily used by our 900 customer happiness specialists to answer more than 1 million tickets annually.
This is a new role and team. It has a focus on security and scalability:
- We have plans to house all the admin portals at Canva.
- Our operation portal is growing proportionally to number of products and features the rest of the product team releases (and it’s a lot!)
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
- Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
- Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.