Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but Austria is home to part of our European operations. And with that you will have choice in how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
Fun fact - our Austrian team actually started out as Kaleido before being acquired by us in 2021. Kaleido's product team develops visual AI products, that make complex things simple for users. Now, together we deliver visual AI features within Canva to help reimagine how artificial intelligence can be used in design. We think it's a perfect match.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Implementing features to our products remove.bg and unscreen.com and publish improvements to client & server-side code and documentation.
- Managing code quality , working on improving performance and compatibility, and be involved in feature decisions.
- Writing and reviewing technical analysis documents, conducting code reviews with your team to ensure code & architecture quality, and promoting healthy engineering practices in the team (e.g. unit testing).
- Creating public-facing APIs and SDKs , from concept to implementation and documentation.
- Working on improving the scalability, reliability, and usability of our features.
You're probably a match if
- You have 5+ yrs of suitable experience in Software engineering (ideally with experience in developing SaaS features). A computer science, software engineering, or related field degree is a plus.
- You possess know-how in structuring growing Ruby on Rails applications , including refactoring and tooling decisions, as well as experience in writing automated tests (unit & integration) to round off your technical skills.
- You bring a solid understanding of REST/GraphQL API designs and integration as well as of SQL databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- You are eager to work with smart, like-minded people who love to ship quickly and you are excited about getting to know the space of visual AI. Experience in working at startups and/or tech companies is a bonus.
- Share a passion for clean and maintainable code and are a team player, who likes to take ownership.
We are required by law to state the minimum salary for this position , which is at least EUR 55,000 gross per year. We pay competitive salaries - depending on your qualifications and experience - and you also get to participate in the company’s stock option program .
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.